1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gear Vender installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Vender installed!!!!

Things that you should know that the intruction don't tell you!!!!!
1- If your first gen.is a standered cab you need the 90*speedo adapter!
2_you will need to shift the fuel tank slightly and also have to loosen up the tranny mount and shift it as far as as you can to the passanger side and then the adapter will just barly clear the fuel tank!!! if yours is a extended cab disregard 1 and 2 cus the gas tank is out of the way.
3- the slip yoke that thay sent was to small for the diesel(drive line shop) 'strangth wise' but my drive line buddy hoke me up with a better on!!! to be fair, this statement came for a guy that tractor pulls his truck in a full mod class and has broke every thing on his truck atleast once!
4- the GM fluid that thay rec.update to the fluid that thay say that thay will alow but will cause harsh shifting.....harsh shifting BAM I LOOKED IN THE REAR VIEW MIRRO TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING TO COME SLIDING OUT TO BACK It all held to gether but it felt like a semi hit me doing a 100 mph and i'm not talking a bout the kick in the seat of the pants eather!
When i have it broke in i'm going to us the gentler shifting fluid!!!!!

I do like the wiring kit and the 4 wheel drive lock out. works good.

Allso, love the over drive, could go 78 mph before the gear vender now with it, can go 101(when i lifted on the go peddle but it was prighty close to max!).
Never could have got a speeding tickit before .....Could now!!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Just use the clutch when you shift into overdrive. Softer shifting fluid is going to cause extra wear from slipping on engagement.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Just use the clutch when you shift into overdrive. Softer shifting fluid is going to cause extra wear from slipping on engagement.
I agree, but the fluid that i'm using is what thay say that thay will "alow' but rec three diff type fluid, when the fluid number was updated it now contains friction modifyers witch that don't rec. but i had aready bout the fluid. this thing kicks so hard that w/the clutch pushed you hire it kick the tranny and that's with the clutch pushed to the floor. After about a 1/4 tank of fuel and lurning how to shift it, the bang is a lot less harsh, but i will never shift it with the clutch ingaged again

It actually realy cool spliting gears and once you learn how to time it, the Gear Vender works grate and a lot of fun
It is a auto tranny desine so i fig i could shift it will under load,the instrucions said that you should give the Gear Vender atlest a half clutching when shifting!

A nether interesting thing is that the fluid isn't ATF fluid, ifs 75/90 gear oil!

The thing that i nottist the most was how much quiter it was at 70+mph!!

Dont now about milage yet put once i get my foot out of it it's got to be alot better!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:58 PM

It actually realy cool spliting gears and once you learn how to time it, the Gear Vender works grate and a lot of fun
Must kinda be like driving an eaton fuller super ten speed, sounds like fun.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deezle98
Must kinda be like driving an eaton fuller super ten speed, sounds like fun.
Ya can't wate to to see how it pulls the hills with the trailer....when i get my car dun
Old 05-21-2006, 07:52 PM

let us know how it affects your mileage
Old 05-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one on my sons truck was great. I drove it out to Terra Haute pulling my GN with my truck on the trailer. The old man that sold me the truck said never shift the OD unless the clutch is in and out of gear. My son and I both shifted it like he said and we never heard a noise. That thing was sweet in the mountains. Just dropped to the low side of fifth and nailed the hammer to the floor. EGT's were good and pulled the mountains about 60 or 62. Ran better when we got back than it did when we left.

Shift it right and it will last a long time and you will get use to it. This is his truck on the dyno.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=525&page=3

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 PM

Shift it right and it will last a long time and you will get use to it.

Ya thanks! I went and played with it some more to day and getting a lot more comfertable with it,can up shift with out any noise now and down shift I hear but don't fill any more,think that the GV is starting to brake in.....And the nut behined the wheel two!!!!

I will let you all now when i get dun playing and fill the tank ...I'm alwas checking my milage so i no what it gets in town,hiway, and pulling! I don't think that i will get 23 or better like the 3.09 geared trucks ...But im hoping for 20