1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

GDS HC1 turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
alwaysonDTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my gds back order finally came in to them so they are shipping them to me, i see what it does and update.

did anyone put it on and notice a difference in boost without changing fuel settings? i running 33psi max right now with my settings and was woundering if it will go up without changing fuel?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM

In your case, since you are right at the top of the map width for the stock compressor, your boost will likely go down a few PSI. The reason is that the stock compressor is beating the the heck out of the air and heating it, raising the pressure but reducing the density of the charge. With the new wheel and housing the air will be cooler and more dense, thus you get more (by weight) air into the engine, but at less pressure. When I put my HTT stage four on, my peak boost dropped about 2 PSI.

Incidentally, if you have access to a lathe it's very easy to machine your own back plate for the larger wheel. Took me about ten minutes to set up and cut and I'm pokey. If you do this you only have to buy the wheel and compressor housing. I was able to get the stage four for the same price as the stage three this way and HTT even sent me the print for the modified back plate.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
alwaysonDTR

wish i would have known that before, i have two lathes, but the stage IIs already on the way, i see what happens with it, i hope to hook up my p/s intercooler the rest of the way at the same thime.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM

No worries, the GDS stage 2 and 3 are pretty close performance wise. I'm just cheap and like to tinker so...

When you put that cooler on it should drop your boost pressure a little more, 2-3 psi from what I've seen. Don't sweat it, cool dense air at lower pressure is better than hot thin air at high pressure. Plus it gives you room for more fuel before you get back into the danger zone PSI wise.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM
alwaysonDTR

right now i have the problem of smoke at take of or rev, it cool but i dont know how it will affect my mpgs, (does keep the tail gaters off though), its controlable right now, and i have enough fuel to run almost 40psi out of a stocker,(did it then turned it down, to not break things) so if i can keep the smoke down i'll run MORE fuel., there has to be a balance.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Smoke at low RPM is more a function of the starwheel and smoke screw settings than anything else. To reduce smoke at take off back the smoke screw out even with the cover (on the inside) and bring the star wheel up a turn at a time until you like it. I don't think you'll ever get ride of the puff when you floor it at low RPM, but you can limit it quite a bit and not hurt high RPM performance. Plus it saves fuel.

Smoke at high RPM is due to not enough turbo, and there's where it gets expensive.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
alwaysonDTR

i did raise those and it has helped but with the star wheel up the turbo doesn't lite as fast, still fast but not as fast, i try going more on the star wheel and see what the does, it is cool though when you drop it into a high gear and lug it a little bit and the smoke rolls out and the porsche behind you backs off.