1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

GDS 60mm compressor on!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GDS 60mm compressor on!!

Santa was good to me.. Got a GDS 60 mm compressor kit. Thanks to sticky, install went smooth. Turbo has much better manners now. The whistle is sweet too.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fun, isn't it?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
Santa was good to me.. Got a GDS 60 mm compressor kit. Thanks to sticky, install went smooth. Turbo has much better manners now. The whistle is sweet too.
you must have got mine
Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was there or is there a power differnce? how did it affect your egt's?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 PM

I WANT ONE!!! Is it ture they don't sell the kit anymore?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
I WANT ONE!!! Is it ture they don't sell the kit anymore?
Check this link out. http://www.gdsdieselparts.com/1991_5...o_upgrades.htm

I called about a month ago and they still had them. You want the stage 2.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 93beater
was there or is there a power differnce? how did it affect your egt's?

It takes fuel and air to make power with a diesel. Just adding air (turbo) will not add power if the current unit is pushing enough air to burn the available fuel. WOT should only produce a steady haze at full boost--anything more (in terms of soot) and the engine is lacking for air and thusly will benefit from a larger turbo. Manual tranny drivers will appreciate the lack of surge at low rpm/high boost situations provided by a ported shroud unit like the GDSII and EVERYBODY will benefit from the cool whistle

The thing is, the 60mm is physically bigger than the one it's replacing, naturally. The added weight makes is spool a bit slower and, at lower fueling levels (stock or 1-2 turns on an intercooled truck, for instance) guys have often complained that the truck felt more like a dog with the new turbo. The solution, of course, is to crank the fuel more--it won't help the lost spooling very much, but once it lights and can burn the added fuel it'll be very clear that the 200 beans was worth it

These are subtle changes in behavior, mind you. Adding a 60mm compressor does not make the truck a complete pig untill 2000 rpms or anything even remotely like that...but because we get so used to everything these truck do, it's worth mentioning you need to be ready for some driving-style changes. It's especially true with the non-ic trucks since the original turbo is so pitufully small.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 AM

darn i called them about two weeks ago and they told me they were on back order, and put me on a list, i guess i will have to call them back
Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by gomerpile
darn i called them about two weeks ago and they told me they were on back order, and put me on a list, i guess i will have to call them back
I just spoke with GDS a few minutes ago. The wheels are in, but they are still waiting on the housings. Said he hoped it would be soon, so I got on the "List"
Just an update that may be useul to someone.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Heck I went from the 50mm to a 56mm and it spooled faster.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 PM

I was thinking about getting a whole new turbo like a HTB or a garret stage 2, but I'm seriously thinking of just doing this upgrade along with some 90 HP injectors and calling it good; what do ya'll think. I'm just lookng for around 250 HP, don't wanna go to crazy. The reason I bought this truck was to be my around town truck sence my 04 is my power house. I also want do a DTT TQ converter along with the above mods.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM

I dunno about the waiting list, maybe I got lucky, maybe there actually is a Santa. I was really good. Anyways, I am lovin' it! I honestly haven't turned to radio up since I put it on. As far a power goes, I would say it is better. Or smoother anyway, I had pretty bad stall/surge issues before. Unfortunatley I fubar'd the WG actuator awhile back, so my right foot has to do its job for now. I let out at 40 psi(about half throttle under load), need to fix that ASAP. Its hard to tell about EGT's since its been below freezing for some time. I can't get it past 750 unloaded.
I was wondering if replacing the factory hose from the turbo to the BHAf with a true 4" pipe would make the turbo a little louder. I really need to get the 4" exhaust.

One other thing. On the compressor housing I got, where the air inlet hose clamps on, there is not a "bead" to keep hose on. It is actually tapered a slight amount. It fit my factory tube fine, and has a cast aluminum finish that "gripped" the rubber well. I am not going to lose any sleep over it, but I don't know if a HTT housing is like this or not. The parts were in sealed Holset boxes. I had to drill a hole for the WG hose, thats unhooked for now.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM

How do you think this turbo setup would work on a truck with stock injectors and only pump tweaking? I have been toying with something like this for mine now that I have the 12cmWG housing in hand.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM

I think it would be a great mod. The sound alone is worth it. If you put the 12WG on you will have surge/stall issues. They might not be as bad as mine were, but its not ideal.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm an aircraft mechanic so if it sounded like a jet that would be all the sweeter. well I might just have to put my name on this so called wait list.

Quick Reply: GDS 60mm compressor on!!