1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gauge Observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauge Observations

Well, it took 24 hours between routing the sender lines, mounting the senders, cleaning up the wiring harness and installing the gauges (and fixing the wiring harness where the parking brake chewed it), but the gauges are in! (See gallery...)

A few things.

1. Just to say it, the Autometer dual pillar pod was a bit of a strange product... I guess it fits well enough, but it covers at least one of the screws on the pillar no matter where you put it. If the pod is mounted on the bottom, then you only have one screw. If you mount it over the bottom screw, then the thing is a bit too high. I don't know if all pods suffer this problem; I just have to grow another 2 inches I guess.

2. There is a frame that the dipstick and throttle assembly attaches to, which inconvieniently covers the hole where you get the boost reading. In order to avoid kinking my house I drilled a big hole through the frame... The hole was rather big because I had to be able to fit a wrench through it to tighten the line. I don't think that this is an issue, is it?

3. I installed the tachometer probe to measure the last three cylinders... No question on that, but I must say that the thread-in stlye, 1/4 Autometer probe (the expensive one) does indeed give a fast reading. Sure does look like it blocks an awful lot of exhaust flow, though...

4. I installed the tachometer pickup on the passenger side of the alternator, right up against the little lip on the alternator casing. I haven't calibrated the tachometer yet (optical tach is in the mail) but there wasn't any fluttering, so I assume it got a good signal there.

5. I ran the wires from the tachometer wrapped around the heater line... It looks slick, but I don't know if it was the best idea. I don't think that they will melt ever, will they?

6. Oh, and the paint that they sell at Kragen for plastics and vinyls, while the can lid is the same color as Dodge interior, isn't actually the color of Dodge interior. It's more along the lines of CHERRY RED.

And so, what should the first mods be? Fuel spring, timing, pump teaking and turbine housing?
Now that I have the gauges, everybody in town gives me that evil eye...
Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
1. Yours fit? Mine didn't fit worth squat. I mounted mine above the screw, but I'm on the tall side.

2. Won't be a problem.

3. How deep did you tap the manifold? As long as you get about 5 threads in the manifold it'll hold just fine. The tip of the probe should be at the center of the manifold, on my pyro I had to use a compression fitting ferrule to space the probe up high enough.

4. If it doesn't flutter at high RPM you hit the right spot. If the pump is still stock set it for 3,000 RPM with your foot on the floor in neutral, that'll get you close.

5. I ran mine alongside the crank sensor wires, but you don't have those. I'm not thrilled with the idea of running them on the heater hoses, but I guess that's no hotter than the rest of the engine.

6. Well that sucks.

I'd do the turbine housing before the major fuel mods (gov spring, fuel screw), but you can play with the AFC settings. Also make sure that you are getting full throttle linkage travel.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done Beagle, just be careful, its only been a little over a month and now I dont have enough power, its way adictive

the best thing I recomend to do is get a good baseline of your gauges BEFORE you do any mods. Now with that said BOMBs away!!!

Michael
Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 AM

sorry to bring up a somewhat dead post, but i just install the autometer 2 pod setup and love it. it went in perfectly...i put it as far down as you can before the stock pillar starts to widen out. i scratched a line at the top and took the stock pillar and the pod inside (it was 90+ degrees with the truck sitting in the sun, lol) i held the pod on the piller where i chose to have it and drilled a pilot hole in the corners(per directions). I then drilled 2 11/32 holes behind each gauge (i also spliced both lights to one long lamp cord) feeding everything through look a little bit but afer i hooked everything up i pushed the pillar back in place and screwed it in...both screws, then i slowly worked the gauge pod in, pulling the wires under the dash so i didn't kink anything. once i had it tight against the pillar i used the little pushpins supplied with the pod. picture is in the photo gallery of finished pod set up.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:29 AM

this is what i did. helped quite a bit.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:06 PM

Check out my gallery and look at my setup. Its for sale.