1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuseable links VS fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuseable links VS fuses

We can start with my AC not working, bought new fan, and tested at fan plug, didnt work, ran hot lead to fuse, worked! Working backwards, I exposed the mummy wrapped fuseable link bundle, found the issue, fixed, now i have AC and a working fan on my 89, Believe it on not, everything electrical works!
Now i have sitting here in my garage, a pair of 5 fuse, fuse blocks from a range rover, I am thinking of doing a rewire since some of the other fuseable links are showing their age.
I could install the fuse blocks on the firewall, and solder leads on so i will do away with the fuseable links.
Is it worth the trouble?
Has anyone here had real issues with their aging links?
Thanks for any imput!
Peter.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a reason you couldn't do something like that as long as the fuses and the fuse block are up to the task current wise. At least you wouldn't have to spice fusible links if one blows, just toss in a new fuse.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Thumbs down Cheap Factory Junk

In my own un-educated opinion, fusible-links are just the factory's way of saving labor, wire, fuse-blocks, money, and time.

They are usually located in a hidden mess of wires; and, when they blow, they are the last place anyone thinks to look for the trouble.

If the fuse-box is up to the amperage, I would definitely swap it in.

At the least, I would replace the links with in-line fuse-holders.

The automotive industry takes many short-cuts to save labor at the assembly line; then, they convince the gullible buying public that it is in their best interests and better technology than the old good way of doing things.

For instance, in-tank fuel pumps, column-mounted switches, front-wheel drive, trans-axles, all of this junk is just to speed up assembly on the union-payed line, with all the preliminary wiring and plumbing shopped out to non-union factories.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The factory used fusible links because it was cheap, and also if a fusible link blows it's usually caused by a major problem that a typical vehicle owner can't handle. The idea is to get Joe Average to bring the vehicle to the dealer so the root problem can be fixed rather than having him jam a gum wrapper in the fuse holder and burn the truck to the ground.

I see no reason why a competent shade tree mechanic shouldn't replace bad fusible links with heavy duty fuses.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The idea is to get Joe Average to bring the vehicle to the dealer so the root problem can be fixed rather than having him jam a gum wrapper in the fuse holder and burn the truck to the ground.
I actually saw something like that happen once a long time ago.

No, It wasn't mine either, but anyway, oh so true...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like fusible links, either - I'd replace with a small fused PDC!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Hey guys just a thought why not a total circuit breaker panel instead of fuses, you could install a master disconnect breaker. How often do you see fuses in anything other than motor vehicles now a days anyhow? A project for us DIY type guys.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM

I have been replacing fuse links with fuses in mine for a while because as the links go out due to wire rubs or varmit chewing they burn up. So far so good with fuses.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Ok this thread has got me thinking. I'm thinking its very possible that a fusible link has blown in my truck. My AC compressor doesn't work and my cruise control doesn't work either(although I don't think that the fusible link has much to do with my CC). Which fusible link controls the power to the AC? I have a feeling that one is blown out.

And replacing the link with a fuse. Does a guy just splice in a HD fuse holder and said fuse? Also what size fuse should I throw in?

Thanks

Sorry for the thread hijack .
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If it was a fusible link you'd have more stuff not working. Try swapping the front two relays on the driver's fender.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this with my truck when my FLs got old and crumbly and I couldn't splice them anymore. the thread may be in the sticky, I can't remember if it got put there or not. Now I would do it a little differently, but at the time I had limited funds and I needed the truck right away. it works fine though. I think that the FLs were just a factory penny pinching thing, although there are those out there that swear that you will burn your truck to the ground if you go to fuses.

It did make it into the sticky, here's the link:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=135504
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Lightbulb A Solution Appears

WoodRat, thanks for posting that.

I was looking at all the pretty pictures and saw those split-bolt wire connectors.

I had been puzzling over a clean way to join some 6-AWG wire that is almost too short in a junction-box; and, low and behold, there is my solution.

Thanks.