1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuseable Links? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Fuseable Links? Maybe?

Yesterday I was going up to Pablo to pick up a parts truck with 3.07 axles. On the way up, All of the sudden, the truck dies. The wire the PO wired the center console in with got smoked. I still had power to the windows and heater motor. So I hooked a wire directly from the battery into the wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid. This gives me power to everything. It all works. You just have to pop the hood and unwire it to shut it off.

Were are the FL's located? Could one of them be blown? All the fuses are good. Are they just like a fuse with one wire in/one out? Can I cut them out and put fuses back in?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Yesterday I was going up to Pablo to pick up a parts truck with 3.07 axles. On the way up, All of the sudden, the truck dies. The wire the PO wired the center console in with got smoked. I still had power to the windows and heater motor. So I hooked a wire directly from the battery into the wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid. This gives me power to everything. It all works. You just have to pop the hood and unwire it to shut it off.

Were are the FL's located? Could one of them be blown? All the fuses are good. Are they just like a fuse with one wire in/one out? Can I cut them out and put fuses back in?
About 6 fusable links fan out from a triangular thingie in the main harness between the battery and the firewall. Color code denotes size. They can be replaced with maxi-fuses. Somewhere there's a size to amps conversion chart. Many have done it.

Splicing in a new piece of fusible link isn't a big deal either. Just don't cheat on the size or a minor smoke could turn into a burn down scenario.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are going to want to go through the sticky, but as a helping hand you can go here.