1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuse panel mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse panel mount

Does anyone have pictures of where the fuse panel is supped to be. Mine just kinda hangs there and looks bad
Old 05-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by 19mike92
Does anyone have pictures of where the fuse panel is supped to be. Mine just kinda hangs there and looks bad

It clips into the door panel, and then the door panel gets screwed to the dash with a couple of screws. It's mounted to the backside of the door panel by two tabs and a clip.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Njt I'm sure your using the proper lingo but door panel sounds extremely confusing. In English: it goes under your steering column right behind the plastic trim That "covers" the steering column. Sorry I don't have pics and can't get them now. It is quit evident how it goes once you look at that plastic panel
Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Look here ...Mark
Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by lockgessner
Njt I'm sure your using the proper lingo but door panel sounds extremely confusing. In English: it goes under your steering column right behind the plastic trim That "covers" the steering column. Sorry I don't have pics and can't get them now. It is quit evident how it goes once you look at that plastic panel
The part that is confusing to me is why they made it that way in the first place My plastic panel is all screwed up so maybe it is a good time to make some changes.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 AM

Couldn't agree more! It's total pita to deal with.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 PM

I am thinking that there may be a way to mount the fuse box facing down wards and making a door or a easily removable cover panel I haven't really looked that close yet.

sorry to hijack your thread Mike.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM

It is supposed to clip to the back of the little plastic panel. I have never seen one that actually dies . .
Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Rampage1967
It is supposed to clip to the back of the little plastic panel. I have never seen one that actually dies . .
I think my Ramcharger has the last unbroken one in the USA......... It is certainly the only one I have ever seen.

I just shake my head and realize one of my fellow Engineers designed that..........
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I think my Ramcharger has the last unbroken one in the USA......... It is certainly the only one I have ever seen.

I just shake my head and realize one of my fellow Engineers designed that..........
That seems to be the first thing off of wrecking yard trucks. I have a couple ideas, we will see if anything sticks to the wall.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly

The mechanic that got me wrenching when I was in high school used to say, "You have to feel sorry for those Detroit engineers. They're going to spend eternity in hell trying to reach an adjustment that can't be reached."

Mine seems to be staying put as well, but I'm looking for another one just to get a few terminals out of it. Would be nice to be able to buy a few new terminals.

Having the high current circuit off loaded helps a lot. Heater and tail/clearance lights come to mind. Relays and addional fuses are the key.

On fixing these plastic parts. I dissolve some old computer case plastic in MEK to make an adhesive. Test your material first. Some of them are aggregates (with sand) and don't brush well. Then I can do an area repair or reinforcement with that and fiberglass cloth, or mix in some fine fiberglass short fibers, let it thicken up a bit, and build up a part or projection from it. (Warning, cheap high/explosion hazard.)

There are also epoxies with solvent in them that will stick pretty well to the ABS these things are made of that works well for small repairs.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
Mine does, but you have to be very gentle with it screwing the assembly back in place.

The tension from the harness puts pressure on the clipped fuse panel, and tends to pop it out of it's cradle if you aren't cautious. Once installed, mine doesn't fall out, but agreed that its placement was really one of the dumbest ideas ever..
Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by lockgessner
Njt I'm sure your using the proper lingo but door panel sounds extremely confusing.
So just subtract the word "Door" from everything I said. Even a caveman can do that...(surprising the ones who don't even speak English do quite well)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
So just subtract the word "Door" from everything I said. Even a caveman can do that...(surprising the ones who don't even speak English do quite well)
Easy, down boy, time out.

Lockgessner doesn't have the ability to edit your posts, but you do. You have to admit, the door, where a door panel might be, is a couple of feet from the fuse panel.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
It's not a bad location, shouldn't be hard to make a replacement out of aluminium I wouldn't think? It screws into the steel support brackets.

Quick Reply: Fuse panel mount