1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel weeping around filter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Fuel weeping around filter.

So, my truck will leave a small spot of fuel on the ground. The filter is damp with fuel, but its tight and relatively new. Could it have something to do with the fuel heater? Are they prone to any problems?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike there is a o-ring type seal, looks identical to the large o-ring on the fuel filter, that goes between the heater and the block. this could be leaking I guess.. is the heater wet too?

taking the heater off can be a real PITA..

remove the filter and lay under the truck looking up at the threaded shaft the filter goes onto...
You'll see that it has a slot for a large screwdriver across it, or some years take a large Allen Wrench .. but that is how you remove and replace it.
when you remove it, pay attention to what side is "up"...and dont bugger up the threads...

I had the best luck with mine using a very very stiff putty knife as a screwdriver, since I did not have a actual driver wide enough to span the tube..

Also, check the bleeder banjo bolt above the filter first, they can seep fuel out if loose( but DONT over-tighten it-its brass and will strip out)
Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just found that someone posted a pic of the filter tube in the classifieds.. you can see the slot for the screwdriver on the one on the right:

Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order a short tube and do away with the fuel heater. Thats wat i did no leaks now and is easy to change filter.THE Short version has a allen head in the end of it so its easy to install.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcool90
Order a short tube and do away with the fuel heater. Thats wat i did no leaks now and is easy to change filter.THE Short version has a allen head in the end of it so its easy to install.

Where did you find this piece ??

Can you give us a part number ?? maybe some pictures showing what is different ??

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
LOL!! It's easy to get those things off!

Lay up under the truck wit a 2 foot or so crow-bar. Stick the flat end up in the slot of the threaded tube and unscrew it so as to replace the square-cut rubber gasket. Installation is the reverse.

I got over 200,000 miles from the OEM one in my heap. Just get another one from Cummins and continue running the heater.

My $.02
Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Fuel Leak Around Filter

I got a short tube from Cummins a couple of years ago and did away with the fuel heater. The part number was: 3925954 (Adapter,Filter Head) - around $15.00. The price and part number may be different now. I use Power Service in the white bottle in the winter.

I know there are people with a different opinion about the fuel heater but I got tired of the stinking gasket leaking so I did away with it. I have run this truck in the winter at 0F and no problems yet. If you can't pump it out of the tank you can't run, just my opinion.

Jim
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jims92CTD
I got a short tube from Cummins a couple of years ago and did away with the fuel heater. The part number was: 3925954 (Adapter,Filter Head) - around $15.00.
Jim

Thank you, sir.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BC847
LOL!! It's easy to get those things off!

Lay up under the truck wit a 2 foot or so crow-bar. Stick the flat end up in the slot of the threaded tube and unscrew it so as to replace the square-cut rubber gasket. Installation is the reverse.

I got over 200,000 miles from the OEM one in my heap. Just get another one from Cummins and continue running the heater.

My $.02
What David said; I just replaced mine $4.00 from Dodge. I had to use a adjustable wrench on the shaft of the pry bar to loosen and tighten the filter shaft as my hands haven't regained their strength back from the surgeries. I thought I was having lift pump issues and it was a silly O-ring.

Joseph
Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 PM

The one on my truck once screwed loose when loosening the filter.

I am going to lay in a stock of those heater-eliminating stubs and get rid of the possibility of one coming apart beside the road some night.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
So, my truck will leave a small spot of fuel on the ground. The filter is damp with fuel, but its tight and relatively new. Could it have something to do with the fuel heater? Are they prone to any problems?
I have had this same problem and had it ever since I changed the fuel filter a little less than 10,000 miles ago with a new Fleetguard filter. Another problem that arose after I installed the new fuel filter is I get the "Water in Fuel" light on in the center of the dash when the truck is running. It has not gone off ever since I replaced the old fuel filter with the new Fleetguard filter. The day after I changed the fuel filter I tried draining any possible water through the bottom drain and mostly got fuel instead of water. I replaced the old rubber o-rings with the new ones that came with the new fuel filter and didn't double up any either. What I'm thinking I need to do is buy a new sensor/drain piece that threads into the bottom of the fuel filter. As far as it leaking fuel I thought it may be because of the filter not being tight enough and was able to tighten it a little bit more when testing its tightness. Since then I haven't looked at it extensively, but I was thinking it would be the physical fuel filter housing that would need replaced. I really need to clean the area very well and "dry" to see where it leaks, then go from there. But I have a lot more work to do on the truck and hopefully performance parts on pretty soon. Thanks for any more advice.

Salvy
Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by RamW350 dually
Another problem that arose after I installed the new fuel filter is I get the "Water in Fuel" light on in the center of the dash when the truck is running. It has not gone off ever since I replaced the old fuel filter with the new Fleetguard filter.
Remove the sensor and stick your finger up inside the filter where the sensor goes. Run your finger around the periphery of the hole making sure the spring that holds the filter element in place is Centered in the housing.

Yours is most likely off to one side shorting the WIF sensor. (It's a common thing).

Hope this helps.