1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel shut down solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel shut down solenoid

Could the fuel shut down solenoid only be working part of the time? or is it one of those things it eighter works or dosen't?

Thanks Mainer
Old 06-15-2005, 01:51 PM

It is either on or off, but you can have a bad connection that would cause it to cut on and off while driving.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 PM

they can stick, work sometimes and not others, what problems are you having?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM

My truck doesn't like to start! It is not a fuel leak becuase i have fuel at the injectors! I was told by a diesel tech that it was the solenoid, but then by another tech that it wasn't the solenoid. Some times it will start right up after sitting for 2 weeks but some times it will just crank and crank. I wired it direct to the battery so to make sure it wasn't wiring and it did nothing.
When the key is on i can hear it click when i take the wire on and off of it. Does that mean it is working?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Yes and no, the solenoid itself could be working, but there is some rubber in there that can come apart and keep the valve from opening, I think. YOu can take the solenoid out, be carefull there is a spring and a ball underneath, take the spring and ball out put the solenoid back in. This will render this useless, then see if it will start. If it does than this is your problem, if not? However turning the key off will not turn the engine off you have to use the manual shut off lever next to the throttle.

Try cracking a couple of your injector lines to see if fuel is coming out.

When was the last time you drained/replaced your fuel filter?

If you put a jumper wire to the solenoid the truck should fire right up. I would say that you have a problem with the fuel side not electrical.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:28 PM

I have fuel at the injectors! I belive the fuel fliter is about a year maybe 2 years old.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM

I would say that it is time for a new filter, just because of how long its been.

But I was just thinking, I had one of the fusible links under the hood hinge burn up, took me a while to figure it out, when you would first turn the key on there would be power at the solenoid, but then wait a minute and the power would go away. This could be your problem, and jumping the wire to the solenoid didn't fix it right away because now you have air in the fuel lines. I did cause I thought the lift pump was bad, so I put a new one on, and a filter neither of which fixed it.

When it does start does it idle normal right away? or is it low and then picks up to normal after a few seconds?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM

the truck has had this problem for the past 2 years, so the fuel filter was put on for a possable fix.

I also replaced the lift pump!

When it does start it idles find.

Where is the fusible link on these?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 PM

also I didn't think these would run with a bad fusible link? My VW wouldn't run with out it. I am new to the cummins world
Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Well there are like 6 of them in the wiring harness underneath the drivers side hood hinge. To replace them you actually have to cut them out of the harness! kind of stupid chrysler thing. I went ahead and wired in my own fuse block with its own power right of the battery, I can take a picture tonight and post it if that would help, but if you unhook the two wires that are on the solenoid, and take a jumper from the battery to the soleniod it will bypass the whole electrical system.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM

When I unhooked the solenoid I only jumped one of the wires, The blue one. should I try unhooking both, and jumping both?

I dont think it is a fusible link. But I am no cummins tech.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM

I would unhook both, cause when I was messing with mine I don't think I unhooked either of them and when I turned the key on everything started pulling power through my little jumper wire and melted it.

To rule out the solenoid, just take it out and take the ball and spring out leave them out, screw the solenoid back in and give it a try.

You don't jump the wire, put power to the solenoid, leave the other wires unhooked.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Do you have any tips on getting the solenoid out. I tryed it before and it was quite hard to get out. I was told that a Crows paw wrench was very help full, is this ture? Or do I have to go it with a regular wrench?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:06 PM

I couldn't tell you fortunatly ive never had to take one out, sorry.
One suggestion, go in through the wheel well, maybe you can get a little more leverage that way.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks I will try when The bugs go away or when i smoke em out !

Quick Reply: fuel shut down solenoid