1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel screw collar

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
fuel screw collar

howdy, well i want to turn up the screw some more and i wanted to know if i can take the fuel screw out to take the collar off or will i drop something inside the pump? also, how can i remove the collar and is there anythign else i should remove that may stop it?
thanks, gregg
Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel free to remove the screw you don't have to worry about anything dropping in the pump. Just so that you have a starting point take a machinist rule and measure how far the screw sticks out before you remove it, that way you can put it back to where it was and turn it in further from that point. What I did was I used a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to remove the collar then I took a triangular fine file and cleaned up the threads so that the locknut would pass freely (it will let you turn the screw in without binding on the threads). Then put it back in and turn until your happy just beware of runaway. Also I noticed in your sig you don't have a 3200 gov spring. I would suggest doing that and then removing the collar on your fuel screw. It's easier to get at the screw because the pump top is already off.

Hope this helps Ryan
Old 10-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
how much would a 3200 gov spring cost, and also how would the installation be?, right now it seems im having transmission problems though, dosent want to get the power to the ground at all, very sluggish, and wont hold the truck in forward on a hill(junky auto) not sure what kind of auto though, i played around with the tps a bit helped some but not much.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your truck should have a 518 auto with od. I'm not to sure on any upgrades for that condition.

I paid around 20 bucks with tax for mine. Check the sticky there is a very good write up on how to do it. Trust me it sounds harder than it is. It took me about 45 min. to do but that also included removing the lock collar from my fuel screw. You can get the spring from any Bosch fuel injection service facility or a diesel performance shop, there is also a part number for the spring in the sticky. It is defiantly a good investment and a great upgrade.

Ryan