1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel pressure gauge? and best place to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sorry to hijack the thread, but if one was to switch to a 2nd gen mechanical pump. What "pressure"... fuel gauge should you get?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still don't like the idea... Someone borrowing my truck and not knowing what to do when diesel fuel starts to drip onto their feet...

That being said, if i had a place to put one i would. I think i'm jealous of his cool gauge cluster :-)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM

My old Mercedes had a mechanical oil pressure gauge from the factory. Didn't leak after 25 years even after I took it apart to take the cluster out a few times.

Just make sure you know how to tighten a compession fitting so it doesn't leak End of story.

Besides, diesel isn't that flammable at atmospheic pressure and normal temperatures. Spill some diesel on the ground and try to light it with a match or lighter. Not easy. We light off boiles on some ships with a long rod with an attatched rag soaked in diesel with a small blow torch. After we touch off the burner, we put it out by just sticking it down the holding tube full of diesel.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 PM

ha i don't let anyone borrow my truck...most people don't even know what egts are and thats the dangerous part! once in a while my dad will take it if he needs to tow somethin, but he's a diesel mechanic and he knows most of everything i have done to this thing and i trust him... but other than that, no one else drives the old girl unless I'm with them. Ha i guess i'm kinda selfish with my 1st gen, but its my baby and i think a lot of guys on here can relate.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
most people don't even know what egts are and thats the dangerous part!
That just reminded me of, i think a Barret Jackson Auction. When they used to drive the cars onto the block... Well it was a Ferrair and two hot girls where driving it up there, revving the motor to a few thousand and the crowd was giving them all their attention. So they revved it up some more, thistiem maybe 8,000 and the crowd starting going wild bidding the price of the car was going to the sky. So this time she knew she was going to get the most money a car like this has ever sold for, and didn't bring her foot off the floor until the needle disappeared, past 10grand. And the crowd started yelling, screaming all of what i couldn't understand anymore. Until she did it one last time...UNTIL she was drug out of the car by some official and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of car turned into a nice expensive paperweight with a horrible self destructing sound.

Just imagine what your friends will think when they cam make your little gauge go to 16 and... what would it be if this thing went higher...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jer12377
I sorry to hijack the thread, but if one was to switch to a 2nd gen mechanical pump. What "pressure"... fuel gauge should you get?
Same pressure. If you run a 2nd gen pump you need to regulate it down so the front seal will stay in the VE.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trying to comply with the rules here, but this is from Genosgarage.

" ISSPRO R5604R 2" EVA Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge shows 0-30 psi. The gauge includes an isolator and 8 ft. tubing kit so you do not have to source these separately.

Black Face / White Lettering / White Illumination / Red Pointer

ISSPRO 2" EVA Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge (0-30 PSI) "

Fuel would be completely isolated 8 ft from the gauge, correct?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Would a 30 psi gauge be high enough if you swaped a 2nd gen motor into a 1stgen? I just did that and I have an isspro 30psi gauge. Will i nee to get a bigger one?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by schamran
Trying to comply with the rules here, but this is from Genosgarage.

" ISSPRO R5604R 2" EVA Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge shows 0-30 psi. The gauge includes an isolator and 8 ft. tubing kit so you do not have to source these separately.

Black Face / White Lettering / White Illumination / Red Pointer

ISSPRO 2" EVA Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge (0-30 PSI) "

Fuel would be completely isolated 8 ft from the gauge, correct?

Thanks!
Yes. Isolators are a real pain in the rear, and they are fragile. If you use one you still need a snubber or needle valve to try to damp the pulsations.

Originally Posted by Ramrod90
Would a 30 psi gauge be high enough if you swaped a 2nd gen motor into a 1stgen? I just did that and I have an isspro 30psi gauge. Will i nee to get a bigger one?
You'd want a 60 psi gauge with p-pump
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a joke. Can I buy this gauge and leave out the isolator if it gives me trouble?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yes. But you still need a snubber or a needle valve, otherwise you will beat the gauge to death.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Yes. But you still need a snubber or a needle valve, otherwise you will beat the gauge to death.
So what is causing all of the pulsations? Is it the recip action of the mechanical lift pump or is it the chatter of the rotary pump in the VE?

Would a rotary lift pump cause the same gauge pulsations?

Has anyone adapted a rotary fuel pump of from a larger engine like a Detroit or Cummins?

It would certainly flow a lot more fuel and could be adapted to drive from the crank pulley.

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's mounted under the hood.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
So what is causing all of the pulsations? Is it the recip action of the mechanical lift pump or is it the chatter of the rotary pump in the VE?

Would a rotary lift pump cause the same gauge pulsations?

Has anyone adapted a rotary fuel pump of from a larger engine like a Detroit or Cummins?

It would certainly flow a lot more fuel and could be adapted to drive from the crank pulley.

Jim
The first one. Even with a snubber for gas use the needle flickers a little on the piston pump. When my truck runs on the Walbro the needle is rock steady.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If you're gonna race in any sanctioned event, you'll find fuel lines in the cab won't pass. It's a fire/safety thing.

I run the ISSPRO Performax gauges (all electronic).

Quick Reply: fuel pressure gauge? and best place to get?