1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Pin, Injectors, Turbo upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pin, Injectors, Turbo upgrades??

Well, despite the fact that my story changes on an hourly basis (truck for sale/not for sale etc.) It has been decided that the old girl is here to stay. I am going to be putting a ton of miles on her (job has moved) The good news is that I have extra money coming in that affords me the chance to do some better upgrades. In the works so far: stacks are coming off and 4" w/ muffler is going on). Cap is going back on for storage (needed for travel) I am getting the 2.5"/2" Skyjacker supension lift and new rims/tires. I am looking to add a few "performance" items. I am thinking bully dog fuel pin, new injectors (non-intercooled) and new turbo (housing? compressor wheel? altogether?) Most of the driving is going to be highway...lots of highway mixed with running some one laners. Towing will be minimal and light if at all. Mostly for hot rodding. I am already running around 30psi and 1250 in 5th @WOT. I have looked at the BullyDog +50 injectors and POD's, and am pretty sure I want to add the fuel pin, but what turbo upgrade is going to compliment my set-up? Thanks everyone.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Why are the stacks going?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Chapter President

My commute right now is 148 miles round trip. My new one is going to be closer to 300+. If I cruise @ 65mph the drone isn't too bad, but anything over that and it becomes a little too monotonous and what is the word...oh yeah...deafening (sp?) Anywho, carrying 2 kids plus gear for work necessitates the need for my cap back on there as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM

I would say get the Stage 4 compressor upgrade from HTT and a 14cm housing off ebay. You'll need at least that to keep the thing from meltdown. As far as injectors, I'd go the bullydog way because the POD's get worse mileage. Excellent power though I hear!
Thats just my personal opinion
Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Chapter President

That's one of my concerns. If I add the fuel pin and Bully dog injectors, are my EGT's going to go through the roof? I remember reading from Wannadiesel that the 14cm is not worth the money? I guess I am looking to get around 300rwhp, but keep it a usable driver. Everything that I have been reading for the past hour is applying more towards the intercooled trucks. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Get the fuel pin first, then if that's not enough you can do injectors. The non-intercooled injectors can flow enough fuel to make 300 HP. You should get an HTT compressor kit to go along with it, that will help with the EGT's.

Keep the stock turbine housing, especially with all the highway running you will be doing.

I have said before and will say again, the 14 cm wastegated housing is a waste of money. If you need a wastegate to keep boost under control and the 12 cm housing is too small, the money is better spent on a bigger turbo.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Chapter President

Any recommendation on a compressor kit? The website listed the stage 1 for daily driving, but most everyone seems to say the stage IV is the way to go. Will that work with the 18cm housing? (I am assuming so, just want to double check) Outta curiousity, whaddya think I am putting down for horsepower with my current mods?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't waste money on anything less than Stage III. Stage IV is a little better but will cost more and take more cobbling to make it fit. AFAIK they have a Stage III that is a bolt-on except for the intake hose. It has the non-intercooled style compressor outlet so you don't need to mess around adapting it to the crossover tube.

Either will work fine with the 18 cm housing.

You're probably in the low 200's. It's hard to say because the pumps are so variable.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Chapter President

Thanks Wanna, that is about what I figured. If I do want to go with the injectors (going faster and faster down the slope ) I am thinking that the Stage III or IV with the 18.5 housing is still going to suffice? Also, am I getting up in power enough at that point that either the EGT's are going to be out of control or is there going to be too much pressure to cause head gasket failure?

Thanks,

Eric