1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel leak/air leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel leak/air leak

I suspect I've got a fuel/air leak. I've been having an intermittent problem where it won't start. It's been getting worse. Sometimes it would start fine. Then I would go to the store and return 10-20 minutes later, and it wouldn't start. Cracking a couple injectors used to work, but now it's gotten worse. I can even crack all 6 open and crank, and after 20 seconds fuel will come out from each injector, but it still doesn't want to start. I've got a new 950 CCA battery, and the engine cranks fast but it's not getting fuel.

I opened the bleeder screw just after the fuel heater and pumped the lift pump lever perhaps 150 times, and I get nothing. I don't see fuel spraying or dripping anywhere. Although there is some fuel and/or oil oozing down from the LP. The LP was changed Jan 2013 and was purchased from Geno's Garage.

So I assume I should replace the LP gasket? Then what? What are the most likely and/or troublesome causes of air leaks?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaybug
I suspect I've got a fuel/air leak. I've been having an intermittent problem where it won't start. It's been getting worse. Sometimes it would start fine. Then I would go to the store and return 10-20 minutes later, and it wouldn't start. Cracking a couple injectors used to work, but now it's gotten worse. I can even crack all 6 open and crank, and after 20 seconds fuel will come out from each injector, but it still doesn't want to start. I've got a new 950 CCA battery, and the engine cranks fast but it's not getting fuel.

I opened the bleeder screw just after the fuel heater and pumped the lift pump lever perhaps 150 times, and I get nothing. I don't see fuel spraying or dripping anywhere. Although there is some fuel and/or oil oozing down from the LP. The LP was changed Jan 2013 and was purchased from Geno's Garage.

So I assume I should replace the LP gasket? Then what? What are the most likely and/or troublesome causes of air leaks?
Man, talk about deja vu all over again, this thread sounds exactly like one of mine. First thing is to make sure that the wire to your fss is tight. Some even suggest putting an eye type connector on it for a more positive connection. Start there, then go on to more possibilities, but my money is on an intermittent connection at the fss, good luck...Mark
Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe368 ~ I went out there and checked the FSS. That tiny nut on top was a bit loose. I tightened it up, then for good measure I metered the terminal connector on the blue wire, both key on and key off. The voltage was good, so I plugged it back into the FSS, turned the key, and she fired right up in about 1/10th of a second. Man, it can be so irritating when somebody else is right...

At least I don't have an air leak (knock on wood).
Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaybug
maybe368 ~ I went out there and checked the FSS. That tiny nut on top was a bit loose. I tightened it up, then for good measure I metered the terminal connector on the blue wire, both key on and key off. The voltage was good, so I plugged it back into the FSS, turned the key, and she fired right up in about 1/10th of a second. Man, it can be so irritating when somebody else is right...

At least I don't have an air leak (knock on wood).
That's great! I read your post and thought I was reading mine. That is what is so great about this site, somebody has experienced the problem you are having and shares it. It amazes me how consistent these trucks are in their problems. It seems like a finite list, they are perfect otherwise...Mark
Old 12-24-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad ya got her fixed!

This is just an addendum but when guys are doing diesel swaps and everything's pretty much custom, I always suggest that they add about a foot 12" of clear vinyl tubing just before the fuel filter. It's a positive and instant indicator of any air bubbles or water or grunge in fuel line before fuel filter. Can really help in troubleshooting fueling issues.