1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Fitting Thread Sealer ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Fuel Fitting Thread Sealer ???

Is this what I want for coating threads on fuel-fittings ??

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...und_p/lcts.htm

I have been buying tiny tubes ( .20 fluid-ounce) of Permatex High-Temperature Thread Sealant at around seven bucks a tube; it don't go far on inch pipe fittings.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 PM
alwaysonDTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it should work, we use a loctite brand stuff i will have to look at what the number is

on edit: loctite 567
thread sealer with teflon

is what your doing drinking water related ?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM

I like the teflon tape better. For 1" pipe I prefer the orange teflon tape that is 1" wide and much thicker than the 1/2" wide white stuff. On properly cut threads (which are not so easy to find around here these days) two wraps around the threaded end is all it takes.

JP.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If I'm not wrong that is for gas connections so yes it will seal but I rather user Teflon tape the extra thick type. Also You could use dope that is used by plumbers on pipes but much easier to clean up than the one in the link I think.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I should have been more clear in my question; this is for diesel fuel-line fittings.

I used to always use Teflon-Tape with never a problem; but, those much smarter than me informed me that was a no-no on fuel-line systems, something about tiny bits of tape getting sucked into places where it don't belong.

I guess, though, if one only used the tape up-stream of the filter, the worst that could happen is it land in the filter.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM

I was always told that too, about tape getting into the working fluid and eventually getting into the pump. But down here on the farm I always end up taking things apart. I noticed that the fancy sealants like locktite, masters metallic, and even good old stick type pipe dope dry up. When I take the fittings apart the remains of the sealant go everywhere. I think that the tape is easier to keep track of, especially when you are disassembling things.

It does not matter what thread sealant you are using, if you are not careful it could end up in the fluid.

It boils down to personal preference, like just about everything.

JP.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
I should have been more clear in my question; this is for diesel fuel-line fittings.

I used to always use Teflon-Tape with never a problem; but, those much smarter than me informed me that was a no-no on fuel-line systems, something about tiny bits of tape getting sucked into places where it don't belong.

I guess, though, if one only used the tape up-stream of the filter, the worst that could happen is it land in the filter.
I used the tape for as long as I remember and never have a problem, besides thats what filters are for so it wont get to the pump.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My past experiences with any teflon based sealants on any size threaded fitting that carries oil has always ended up in becoming an ultra slow leak. I have since switched over to either Permatex Ultra black Silicone or good ole Permatex #3 Aviation Gasket Sealer. In either case the best results I have obtained were after removing any residual oil by cleaning the threads with alcohol. For me the teflon tapes and pastes work great for either water or air line threaded fittings. The teflon acts like a lubricant and later permits easier dismantling of the fittings.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 PM

I do plumbing for a living i would use the extra think teflon or Hercules Grip would be the best it handles just about anything and dont get it on your hands its hard to come off or clothing and it wont come off
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 AM

Bearkiller,

I used a sealant/locker called Hypalon. See the link below:

http://www.dupontelastomers.com/prod...on/hypalon.asp

I bought it at NAPA and it works great. Petroleum products (Diesel, Gasoline, Motor Oil) will break Teflon tape down over time and thus possibly end up clogging something past the fuel filter (Injector Pump, Injectors). Hypalon is even rated for NOS.

Peace,

Joseph

"In God We Trust"