1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel filter changing and oil change info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
What is ov I know that sounds stupid but I am just checking.
Another way of spelling 'of'. Ref to 'the Old Coot' from Dirt Rag...
cheers,
Douglas
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Several minutes and half-a-roll of Quilted Northern later
Been there done that.

BK, If you type as slow as I do, you could have changed the oil in a fleet of trucks in the time it took to type your excellent oil change instructions. I vote sticky. The only things I can't quite wrap my pointed little head around is saving the old filter and dumping perfectly good oil in to rinse out a couple ounces of black oil.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
BK, If you type as slow as I do
I hunt and peck, one letter at a time, and am continuously having to go back and take out an extra letter or re-capitalize a letter that this silly Walmart key-board refused to acknowledge "shift" on.

Being too sore-throated and stopped up to sleep, I started about early bed-time and finished at whenever it says I did.

I vote sticky.

In all the things I have posted on here, I have yet to rate a sticky.

Maybe it would help if I had sense enough to figure out how to do pictures.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Very helpful information on plain ole filter changes, I'll be getting rid of the drain plug in a thousands miles or so oh and my vote is for the sticky as well! Not all of them have pictures
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Oh and one thing I might add just because my young mind still tends to forget things... Get a paint pen and after install of filters, use your paint pen to scribble the miles on the truck when the change was done. Just incase you lose that little piece of paper you wrote it down on.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM

I'm in favor of BK's work being a "Fuel filter changing and oil change" sticky too; also I wish there were a category for entertaining writing. I had several LOLs going over this detailed description and all the asides. Anyone can write dry techy prose, but having some wit in there makes it oh so much more palatable, ... wayda go BK!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM

I agree sticky for your excellent info BK thanks a million and I will see if I can get one of those drain plugs and I will go and grab a few more filters for my truck right away lol
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Maybe it would help if I had sense enough to figure out how to do pictures.
When you figure out how to post pictures, leave out the Quilted Northern pics. I don't think I need to see that one
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ppiggppenn

Anyone can write dry techy prose, but having some wit in there makes it oh so much more palatable

A significant over-dose of sore-throat medicine, a hand-full of Ibuprofen, too many allergy pills, several antibiotics from the vet corner at the feed-mill, mixed with several throat-soothing snorts of peppermint schnapps may have had some bearing on my increased creativity.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Wink >>> the fumoto valve <<<

For those not familiar with the Fumoto oil-drain valve :

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Several companies also market various versions that do not really have a valve that closes, but instead a spring-loaded ball that snaps into a seat.

These styles require a screw-on safety/dust cap.

Plus, a dedicated drain-hose comes with the kit that is absolutely necessary to move the ball and allow the oil to drain.

The threaded hose-end has a rigid pointy loop of wire that engages the spring-loaded ball and pushes it out of it's seat as the hose is threaded on.

I have some of this style of "quick drain", but they are inferior in use and design to the genuine Fumoto.

I order mine straight from that factory site; they have as good of prices as anywhere else I have tried.

Contrary to the worries and warnings of the naysayers, it is absolutely impossible to accidentally open a Fumoto.

They consist of a standard no-non-sense ball-valve.

In closed position, the lever snaps into a recess and is held there by spring pressure.

I have never known of one snagging on brush or the like and accidentally opening.

I realize I am sounding like an advertising executive for the company, but be assured, I am just that convinced of the usefulness of the product.

It for sure revolutionized my oil-changing methods.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM

I went to the site and What you say is true they look pretty tough and yea the site has the best prices of what I found out so far and how long does it hang down when its installed since I have the D250 not a W
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM

how long does it hang down when its installed since I have the D250 not a W

The valve hangs below the pan about an inch, maybe and inch-and-a-half.

I have had no ground clearance issues on our 2wd trucks.

There is stuff on the front-end that hangs quite a bit lower than the oil valve, and will sort of deflect anything that might contact it.

It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM

Okay that was my only concern and my dad said that some idiot might as a mean trick open the valve if they really didn't like you I personally though the likeliehood of that is pretty darn low besides they'd get oily under there and they'd leave finger prints anyways haha
Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Okay that was my only concern and my dad said that some idiot might as a mean trick open the valve if they really didn't like you I personally though the likeliehood of that is pretty darn low besides they'd get oily under there and they'd leave finger prints anyways haha

If it makes you feel better, you can get the one that has the hose-nipple on it.

When you are finished draining the oil and close the valve, clamp a short section of plugged hose onto the nipple.

Someone that is unfamiliar with operating the valve probably couldn't open it anyway.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 AM

DRAINING THE OLD OILd.

Enough about that; here are more tricks.

Remove the Old Filter

It is nigh impossible to service the 1st Gen Dodge/Cummins oil-filter without first removing that rigid-ey air-filter hose.
Never been a problem for me, I do have to tilt the oil filter out but no where close to impossible. Not even difficult. Lot of unessesary work and time. nless the air filter is due for service.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter changing and oil change info.