1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts
Front springs

92 4wd got new springs with another ply under main one the full length just like my old plow truck was .Its out there with no motor but the springs are arched don’t remember with motor if they were flat or not.But these are flat on this truck with jungle hangers on the back and the eyes are against the frame.What u think
Old 08-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
If with no weight over the front end, the shackles are angled to the point where the eyes are touching the frame on the rear of the front spring, you need different springs, and /or at minimum longer shackles.

It will ride awful like that AND destroy the frame as every bump you go over will try to rip the front frame apart as the spring has no where to travel.

I would return the springs and get the proper ones, as when there is weight on those springs it will only get worse.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
If with no weight over the front end, the shackles are angled to the point where the eyes are touching the frame on the rear of the front spring, you need different springs, and /or longer shackles.

It will ride awful like that AND destroy the frame as every bump you go over will try to rip the front frame apart as the spring has no where to travel.
Oliver the springs that are on my truck with the motor in are touching the frame with all the weight on them they aren’t negitive but straight .Sounds like I spent money on new springs for nothing Yea I agree touching the frame not good
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gunch
Oliver the springs that are on my truck with the motor in are touching the frame with all the weight on them they aren’t negitive but straight .Sounds like I spent money on new springs for nothing Yea I agree touching the frame not good
Oliver just crawled under and took pic got a little daylight but not much
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Maybe I got the Jungle shackles on wrong anybody now if there on right
Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
The Jungle shackle is installed backwards I believe.
I don't think flipping it will keep the leaf spring off the frame, as the spring is too long.
You need a longer shackle at minimum to fix your issue. A better spring pack would be ideal though.

My white '85 crew cab with Skyjacker 6 inch springs sagged a bit over the years enough that the spring eye to frame clearance looked like your picture. It would contact the frame when I went over a decent bump in the road on the drivers side.
I made up a set of 1/2 inch longer shackles [for both sides] and it has been good for the last 7 or so years.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Your main leaf is too long.

I experienced the same issue. I pulled the springs back out, dropped them back off at the spring shop, and they corrected it.

If you don't do anything, you will do what Ollie said, and damage the frame.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Your main leaf is too long.

I experienced the same issue. I pulled the springs back out, dropped them back off at the spring shop, and they corrected it.

If you don't do anything, you will do what Ollie said, and damage the frame.
Yea this sucks I’ll call them today and c what they say Or this winter just go with a skyjacker 4” lift and to think I Thought I was done for a while
Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 AM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Yea this sucks I’ll call them today and c what they say Or this winter just go with a skyjacker 4” lift and to think I Thought I was done for a while
I had lots of problems with front springs on my 92. I got to the point that I could get them out in about 45 minutes with air tools.

Tell the spring shop that you want new u bolts. They're not supposed to be reused. Make sure you torque them to spec, then recheck in 50 miles, 100 miles, etc.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 344 Likes on 242 Posts
Yea this sucks and to think I Thought I was done for a while
With a first gen!!!! Ha Ha Ha I don't care who you are that's some funny stuff right there lol

Last edited by maybe368; 10-22-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: profanity substitution not allowed
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (08-22-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I had lots of problems with front springs on my 92. I got to the point that I could get them out in about 45 minutes with air tools.

Tell the spring shop that you want new u bolts. They're not supposed to be reused. Make sure you torque them to spec, then recheck in 50 miles, 100 miles, etc.
Called the spring shop yesterday told him what’s up he says something doesn’t sound right he wants to look at them .So I guess I’m going to have to take a 120 mile trip he sounds pretty sensere we’ll c .I had the u bolts made at another place so I’m going to wait and c what he says and go from there.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 PM

Called the spring shop yesterday told him what’s up he says something doesn’t sound right he wants to look at them .So I guess I’m going to have to take a 120 mile trip he sounds pretty sensere we’ll c .I had the u bolts made at another place so I’m going to wait and c what he says and go from there.
Well spring update time has come to take them back to spring shop tomorrow we’ll c what happens.He says them being new he can arch them I don’t think they’ll stay but he’s not charging me so I c what happens.The left one needs 23/4 and the pass side needs 21/4
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Took springs to shop today They arched them and put a thicker ply under main leaf .Look good we’ll c how they hold up

Old 10-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 370 Likes on 307 Posts
Looks good. If the eye still hits the frame, get a longer shackle. It helps your caster anyway. I made mine with holes at 5, 6", and 7" length.

I combined two old leaf packs to make one super-stout setup. Price was right.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
Looks good. If the eye still hits the frame, get a longer shackle. It helps your caster anyway. I made mine with holes at 5, 6", and 7" length.

I combined two old leaf packs to make one super-stout setup. Price was right.

Yea that looks good I’m going to make a longer shackle also but right now it’s at 42” to fenders looks level if it stays
The following users liked this post:
u2slow (10-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Front springs