1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front pinion angle issues, never read about this before

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front pinion angle issues, never read about this before

Am I the only has that has pinion angle problems on the front with a skyjacker 4" lift?

My angle is so bad that when I drive in 4x4 the yoke on the end of the driveshaft contacts the U-straps that connect the U-joint to the pinion. and it vibrates like heck and makes all the U-joint caps pop out in the CV joint, I just rebuilt my front shaft for the 2nd time and this time I'm never using 4x4 until I get this issue fixed.

The skyjacker front springs came with angle shims integrated into the bottom of the springs, they are held on by the centering pin which is also the bolt that holds the springs together.

Someone told me I could drop my trans/transfercase by putting 1" or so spacers between the crossmember and the frame, but that's going to move the engine too and fan may contact the shroud.

I don't mind dropping the axle again, I was thinking about totally removing the skyjacker angle shims from the pack and installing new STEEL angle shims with slightly more angle to match the driveshaft......maybe while i'm there I could shim up the driver side to make up for the lean to the driver side?

if someone could tell me if i'm going in the right direction that'd be great.

I also thought my pinion angle issue could have to do with my leaf spring shackles being seized in the frame bushings, only way I can get them to move is to loosen the bolt and beat the shackles with a hammer. But I'm about to order those special little bushings and get that fixed too. I'll be using NJTman's write up on doing that.

Thanks.

here are the most recent pictures I have of it

View outside of my apartment window

Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can grind the little knub stops that limit the joint angle. Did your kit come with a 1" driveshaft spacer? I know they come with the 6" kits.

This may be dumb, but you're sure the angle shims are in the right direction, right?

Superlift did have a bad run of springs awhile back. I'll have to look that up...I forget exactly what was wrong, but the measurements weren't up to part.

Great looking truck BTW.

--Eric
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Thanks man.

you mean the nubs on the end of the driveshaft yoke? I didn't even think of that. Good idea. there is a lot of extra material there I can remove without jeopardizing the strength where the cap is pressed in.

I already clearenced the inside of the CV joint itself, no binding there.

yes I'm 100% positive the angle shims are in the right way LOL.

No I didn't get a driveshaft spacer, wouldn't that make the issue worse?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

You have a 4inch lift correct.You really shouldnt have any issues I have installed tons of them and the only ones that cause me grief are 6-8 inch lifts.You shouldnt need a spacer for a 4inch lift ok as for the degree shims in mine i have a 6inch skyjacker and run no shime to keep my king ping angle street friendly I do get a little bit of vibrations at really low speed but nothing to worry about.If you want this solved we are going to have to go over a few things to see whats being over looked.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM

How the heck do you have a 6" lift with no angle shims on the front?

Mine vibrates because the driveshaft yoke is hitting the U-joint straps, I can see where the yoke has been digging into the straps because the angle is off.

Maybe it makes a difference in the yoke size, my pinion yoke on my D60 takes the real small joint. If you look up that joint in the parts books it lists 3 different ones and mine takes the smallest.

yes it's a 4" Skyjacker lift, they are diesel springs.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM

here's some pics
you can see how bad the angle is, I can't believe even with angle shims the angle is this bad.

you can also see in the 2nd pic where the driveshaft has hit the cap straps before I flipped them over. I think I'm gonna try clerencing some material out of the area that is rubbing the straps, just for this winter. And in the spring I'll do it right with shims or whatever I need.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the shim's and Throw em in the Trash I will try n post a picture of mine and it doesn't hit
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
if you change the yokes to 1410's youll get more clearance, their much wider, the 1350's are useless with lift, the shims wipe out your caster, the other option is cut and twist the axle.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I ground my yoke like was already suggested. I don't run shims either, no problems at all with mine after I ground it down.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name:  2012-10-29_18-00-26_227.jpg
Views: 2965
Size:  159.8 KB

Name:  2012-10-29_18-01-03_73.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  139.0 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
It does appear that you have excessive pinion angle

Do you have any pictures showing the spring pearches including the position of the shims?

How old are those springs?

Do you have air shocks on the front?

What happens when the truck rebounds from a dip?

Name:  PropellerShaft-1.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  PropellerShaft-2.jpg
Views: 3793
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  PropellerShaft-3.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,679 Posts
I have run several sets of the Skyjacker 6 inch springs and my pinion angle looks much better than yours.
I have the Skyjacker shims under my springs.
I know they make different angles on the shims as I broke a shim years ago and had to order a new one.
Make be swapping for some 6 inch spring shims would help.
I would also clearance the yoke on the driveshaft if there is any contact.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can change shims easy enough. Take some measurements to figure out what degree you need and order them up. Install and your pinion angle will be better. Your castor may suffer which can effect your steering though.

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=111
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM

I have a 1350 front yoke and a 1410 cv i have never run shims in any leaf spring dodge that i have ever lifted they screw up the caster to bad.If i could upload pics on here i would show you mine with the angle finder on it so you could see the diferrence between yours and mine.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM

im guessing mine uses 2 1350's?? the small ones

Quick Reply: Front pinion angle issues, never read about this before