1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front End Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Parts Question

Well messed up big time yesterday, was towing empty and somebody stopped right in front of me when I was going about 50, had to swerve to miss and hit a truck in the next lane. Overall it could have been much worse, it hit the front of my fender and took out the grill, bumper and about the first half of the fender. Was about time to pull the front end off to do the cowl cracks anyways.

To the question, it drove fine after but the steering wheel was off, a little to the left although it seemed to drive straight. Just took it to an alignment shop and they said it crushed the upper and lower ball joints and that it why the steering wheel is off. So, what is a good source for a front end rebuilt? Truck has about 100k on it now, is that about right to need a new front end? What am I looking at for parts? Have the tools to do a C-Body Chrysler front end, should that stuff work to do my D250?

Pictures will not be shown to protect any children reading this and my dignity.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say any TRW or MOOG part should be fine. As for removal I'm unsure. I do know they have 2 different size ball joint sockets for mopars.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

You need the bigger socket for the uppers. Lower joints press out. Or get a 16# hammer, and beat it out. I wore out a MOOG ball joint, so I switched to Spicer- g/f's shop has had good luck on 3rdGen 4x4s with them. Figure if they'll hold up with those tiny ball joints, they should be ok in my 2wd.

I'd get a second opinion- crushing the ball joints from a front collision sounds fishy to me. Check your control arms, too. I'd think they'd have gotten bent in the collision as well, esp when you consider how flimsy they are.

Daniel
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dpuckett
Check your control arms, too. I'd think they'd have gotten bent in the collision as well, esp when you consider how flimsy they are.

Daniel
I second that. Had a collision recently that bent my lower control arm but the balljoints were untouched.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpuckett
I wore out a MOOG ball joint, so I switched to Spicer
I have been under the impression that the Moog balljoints have a lifetime warrenty(as long as you own the vehicle) unless it is over a certain GVW. With my previous truck I bought one set and got them replaced three times free.

All I had to do s supply the receipt for the original set each time.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Just got it back and they said it was the control arm bushings rather than the ball joints. The front end was pretty worn out anyways so just going to replace everything tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

RuralCruiser007- You are right- it had a lifetime warranty, but I still hate replacing parts, esp when it is less than a year old. Same reason I get my electrical stuff rebuilt locally- it's just a big hassle. I got my money back and then went to the Spicer.

DP