1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

front crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front crank seal

ok finally tore into the ctd to kill pin..it hadent moved a bit..made a stop out of sheet steel to go under existing bolt...discovered a groove in the crank so had to order a redi sleeve..will take till tue ...i have read that the seal is not supposd to be lubed ..i have never had a seal i havent lubed before install..i did buy the felpro kit ..can anyone tell me why the fsm says not to lube..is this just for a cummins seal?..also there was a thread on all the bolts to loctite...i think there are 7 but cant find them all... it had pics does anyone know where to find?...also in the kit i bought it has the gasket for the cover..another gasket thats not closed just half gasket if you will and a package with one round oring and two flat orings..one large rubber ring whuch i guess is for the fill tube and then a small gasket that looks like an egr gasket for a gas engine..can anyone shed light on this stuff...thanks for all the help
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did a front cover on a friends truck and it was the felpro kit as well. The seal should be installed dry. The seal material is different from all the gas stuff I've done that you want to have a little oil on. The "half" a gasket is the gasket for the back side if the gear case. Our kit didnt have any orings, but there is an oring on the TDC locating pin and there is another oring in the TDC locating pin housing thingy. Maybe those are it. As for the egr thing, I have no idea.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Yes Sir... DRY...Sounds wrong I know...But you'll be ok...
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver92
ok finally tore into the ctd to kill pin..it hadent moved a bit..made a stop out of sheet steel to go under existing bolt...discovered a groove in the crank so had to order a redi sleeve..will take till tue ...i have read that the seal is not supposd to be lubed ..i have never had a seal i havent lubed before install..i did buy the felpro kit ..can anyone tell me why the fsm says not to lube..is this just for a cummins seal? It's a teflon seal and needs to run against a dry surface to seat properly. Use brake kleen or QD contact cleaner for the final clean on the crank to ensure NO oily residue and it will seal perfectly. If you need the truck before Tuesday you can seat the seal a little deeper but the sleeve is the right way to do it. ..also there was a thread on all the bolts to loctite...i think there are 7 but cant find them all... it had pics does anyone know where to find?... I can only think of 5, and two of them are behindthe cam gear. One of those you can only check for tightness, the other you can get out if the cam gear is in the right spot. also in the kit i bought it has the gasket for the cover..another gasket thats not closed just half gasket if you will and a package with one round oring and two flat orings..one large rubber ring whuch i guess is for the fill tube and then a small gasket that looks like an egr gasket for a gas engine..can anyone shed light on this stuff...thanks for all the help The "half gasket" would go between the block and the timing case. If you want to pull the cam you can change it. Not sure on the o-rings.
My comments in red.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 AM

thanks for the replies guys i had thought about changing the position of the seal in the case but elected to wait for the sleeve..only want to do this once and buy one seal...also wanna you said seat it deeper..but if it is installed from the back like the sticky says it would seem that it needs to be more shallow?...thats the place on my crank..closer to the block that is not grooved..am i correct in my thinking?..also this is supposed to have 175,000 mi on it and i thought i had read that they didnt groove that early..any input on this..again thanks for the advice and hope to have it up and going mon or tues when sleeve comes in..in the meantime plent more to do..make a brace for the steering box.. gusset up the crossmember on front.. sliding rear window ..geesh does it ever stop..lol have a good one
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Adminstrator-ess

You would want it closer to the block.

The sleeve uses a different seal to deal with the added diameter.

They groove because people let them leak. The leak attracts grit, and that grooves the shaft if you run it that way for too long.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM

300,000 miles on my rig did the crank seal 2 weeks ago now and not drop one with the normal seal. Wanna when I did the case bolts, I rotated the engine with a barring tool and found 2 case bolt behind it, plus the one that you cant really get to unless you pull the cam gear off... one at like a 1200 position and another at like 200 position. Then the third that you can only check for tightness at like a 400 position. Does that sound right?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, I think you're right about there being three hiding in there. It's been a couple months since I had the cover off one.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM

I remember another bolt too, but I believe it was a 13mm, not a 10mm. I looked closer and it was not a casing bolt, it had something to do with the cam so I left it alone. Were all 3 10mm bolts?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I remember another bolt too, but I believe it was a 13mm, not a 10mm. I looked closer and it was not a casing bolt, it had something to do with the cam so I left it alone. Were all 3 10mm bolts?
yep they were identical bolts...
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

so i will have to buy a diff seal if i install the redi sleeve?..how thick are they a redi sleeve for the balancer on a chevy uses the original seal...this could get challenging
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Cummins sells the sleeve and seal together as a set.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Cummins sells the sleeve and seal together as a set.
Dave is correct. When you buy a front OR rear seal from the OEM dealer your going to get the speedy sleeve with it.