1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fried fuse on headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fried fuse on headlight switch

Ok bear with me while I explain this:
I am currently replacing my headlight switch AGAIN (3rd time in 5 yrs). After removing the old switch, noticed that the wiring harness is fried/crispy. Off to get new ones. Since we are on this project, remove the entire dash as I have a ton of wiring issues..(hint hint..if you want to put on a trailer tow package, plz plz PLZ do it right and not hack into every wire under the truck..can we say nightmare??). Ok, upon getting 90% of my missing items back, radio, dome lamps, lights here and there, I see this issue I'm stuck at.
On the headlamp switch, there is F33 (18 ga pink with red stripe wire). Ok...I do NOT have this wire directly into my switch. It's an orange wire with a 30amp fuse then connected to the pink/red wire. This fuse is burnt/fried/caught fire. Supposedly by my wiring diagram, this is the horn wiring. Horn works. Does anyone else with a 93 W350 have this 30amp fuse off their headlight switch? And if not, what the heck could it possibly be there for?
It can't possibly work in its current state as it's been burnt to pieces thus frying my harness as well.
I uploaded a pic but I must wait for it to be approved before I can share it. Just thought I'd throw the problem out there to see if someone can help in the meantime.
Thanks..and I look forward to learning alot here. I've got so much on my to do list now, that hubby may divorce me after finding this site but I love my truck and want it back on the road. I'm just happy today to have my radio back on in it..LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know what's up with the orange wire, that does not sound stock. The pink/red wire is the running light feed. The horn wire should run straight off fuse #4.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Then that explains it some...if the pink/red wire is my running lights, then that entire setup can go as I removed all my running light wires from underside. Truck lit up like a Christmas tree...red/blue/yellow/orange lights everywhere on the thing. Between the cab/bed, on the running boards...I swear, you seen me coming miles before I ever got there..
Sooo...should I remove this stupid orange wire on a burnt up fuse and just run the pink/red wire back to the headlight switch? Not that it's really needed now.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
By running lights I meant all the lights except the headlights - taillights, marker lights, etc.

If the orange wire is powering stuff you are ripping out, no sense in keeping it.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 PM

I had a toggle switch installed in my truck to run the trailer lights off of to take the load off the main light switch. Knock on wood but have never had a problem. - John
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 PM

Ok..all the "extra" lights (running board lights and lights btw truck and bed) were on a toggle switch setup like John's. I have yet to figure out what could possibly be put on this orange wire/fuse combo UNLESS it was to the trailer/5th wheel combo the previous owner had on the truck.
Thank you both for your help. The wire/fuse is coming off and the original wire will be returned to it's rightful place seeing how it serves no purpose as is now and I really don't want another meltdown off of it. The lights btw cab/bed are now gone as are the running board lights (lights there but wiring is gone to them).