1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Found the source of my Excessive Hazing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by soggy
What does "some other stuff consist of"???
Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get from a glut of TV?
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply reading a book?
Or could you just not bear to look?

You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no commercials

Oompa Loompa Doompadee Dah
If you're not greedy you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa
Oompa Loompa doompadee do

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's finally happened ----

BC has gone over the edge
Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

This is why we don't do drugs kids
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
1st Generation Admin

Basically, I'm still trying to get more air in the engine to better burn the fuel (NO nox). Even with all the cold air mess, HX35 Hybrid/HT3B twins, Big Honking Hellman IC, Big-time ported head, Hamilton cam, etc, it's still too hot'n smoky for my liking at the top of a quarter. I think there's some power to be found if I can get more air in there.

- Replace the HX35/Hybrid with an 65/62/14 S300 ~ should present with a notable increase on the cold side, and a big improvement on the hot side.
- I run a big honking, super quiet muffler that on paper, flows right at 3000CFM @ 3" back-pressure. The plumbing is 4" from the turbo back to just past the transfer case where it goes to 5", then to the muffler, and on out past the rear axle to the standardly located dump . . . . hold that thought.
If I'm in the left lane, dumping the smoke out behind the passenger's rear tire puts it in my opponent's lane which is a safety concern (should I be ahead), never mind I'm killing the track officials.
I've made a Y-pipe such that just after the transfer case, I've a new leg that goes to the right/forward corner of the bed. It just sticks through the bed with a 5" cap on it. The cap is secured with a thumb-screw worked band-clamp.

The plan is:
- Arrive at the track all nice'n quiet with the exhaust flowing out the rear axle dump.
- Pull the cap off pipe in bed and install it on the rear axle dump.
- Back in the bed, again using a thumb-screw band-clamp, I'll slip on a satin black 5" stack.
- Go racing.
- When done, put it all back like I found it and slip quietly away in the darkness.

That should alleviate most of the 3" (mercury) back-pressure presented by the muffler thus more air-flow through the engine.

I'll also be adding a few more sensors to the ISSPRO Performax gauge system. With using the associated USB laptop link and software, I'll have what amounts to a simple data-logging system. With that, I'll have access to information on:
* Intake log boost pressure (dash mounted gauge).
* Secondary drive pressure (for testing purposes).
* A pressure sensor that I'll use for either: Primary drive pressure or Primary boost pressure (for testing purposes).
* EGT's (dash mounted gauge).
* Fuel pressure at the IP inlet (dash mounted gauge).
* Transmission temp (dash mounted gauge).
While I can see real-time info via the gauges, this will allow a graphical presentation updated in up to 5ms increments afterward.

I can still add more sensors as needed. ISSPRO is suppose to be working on a tach interface (I hope so).

That displayed should prove interesting and helpful for tuning.

My best last year was 13.03 in the quarter. I'm hoping I'll do better this year.

We'll see.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
1st Generation Admin

Oh, and some other stuff.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
"and some other stuff" is elusive and secretive. It's not what our curious minds like to hear!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM

I'm guessing it's dual VEs, a massive nitrous system, and a Lenco. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:49 PM

That's one of my heads from when I's at PDR. The ramps cut into the deck causes the piston to swirl the mixture as it comes to TDC in addition to what the intake port has already done. I used this mod on Bill Fletchers truck when he ran the first diesel only 9 second pass. I also used it on the Hellbound Express Peterbilt when it got second place at Pikes Peak. When used with a flat top piston, the motor responded like a common rail motor. The throttle response was like a gas motor. EGT's went down a further 100 degrees beyond the 100 from the exhaust porting. Rhonda Kelly was the first one to run this head set up when I came up with it. Her truck went from 12.20's @ 105 mph to eventually running 11.60's @ 117 mph
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is 10 years old
Old 01-09-2020, 12:38 AM
1st Generation Admin

A LOT has happened in the last 10 years running that head. To summarize: Stupid-big injectors, 188/220 cam, some other stuff and triple S362sxe. Just finishing a billet/alloy Frankinsteen transmission build that includes a 3D lock-up converter. Hoping to get it on a dyno in the near future before another season at the track.

@Farrell. That head still serves me well.