1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Found and fixed my oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found and fixed my oil leak...

If your rear main seal looks like that^^^ you need to change it

The trucks been sitting since the 1st week of february when i found the leak and finally got the time to fix it yesterday... fired up just like normal and went down the road as smooth as ever.

I was so mad at the truck for giving me trouble i even quit getting on diesel websites until today.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you got mad at the truck and took it out on us? Hahahahahaha
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I just fixed a recent oil leak myself. Caught it last week and I think it had just sprung.

Can you guess...?

Yep, crank seal. I blame it on my first experience since I tabbed the KDP back in Aug. of 2009 while replacing my headgasket. I, for some reason, couldn't see how that magic, plastic sleeve was supposed to work so I installed everything without it and failed to do a quick search here beforehand. It slipped on smooth so I didn't think anything of it. I think a small portion of it folded in and it took this long for it to open up enough to leak. I'm just surprised it held up for so long.

I thought that maybe I had worn a groove in the crank so I bought the wear ring kit just in case. Well, the crank was in perfect shape and groove-less but since I had the ring, I tapped it on anyhow. Not to mention, the new seal wouldn't have worked anyway being a larger ID and intended to be used with the wear ring.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I just fixed a recent oil leak myself. Caught it last week and I think it had just sprung.

Can you guess...?

Yep, crank seal. I blame it on my first experience since I tabbed the KDP back in Aug. of 2009 while replacing my headgasket. I, for some reason, couldn't see how that magic, plastic sleeve was supposed to work so I installed everything without it and failed to do a quick search here beforehand. It slipped on smooth so I didn't think anything of it. I think a small portion of it folded in and it took this long for it to open up enough to leak. I'm just surprised it held up for so long.

I thought that maybe I had worn a groove in the crank so I bought the wear ring kit just in case. Well, the crank was in perfect shape and groove-less but since I had the ring, I tapped it on anyhow. Not to mention, the new seal wouldn't have worked anyway being a larger ID and intended to be used with the wear ring.

Good catch, ... looks like you'll have a more reliable seal as a result. Howdja get that front cover so clean in the first pic?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
So you got mad at the truck and took it out on us? Hahahahahaha
lol yeah basically... i was pretty irritated and didnt even want to think about the truck. it kept me from buying any more junk for it that i can't afford though!

Originally Posted by jimbo486
Youd probably be surprised with how many people ("professionals" included) dont know what the plastic sleeve is for and just toss it out. Its cool it lasted 2 years though. Usually stuff doesnt work instantly for me and i totally lose interest in fixing it again.

I thought i would say that the rear main seal on my truck was at a depth of .425-.427" all of the way around along the crank incase someone may ever search for it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ppiggppenn
Good catch, ... looks like you'll have a more reliable seal as a result. Howdja get that front cover so clean in the first pic?
Are you talking about the gasket mating surface on the timing case?