1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Flat bed truck fuel filler issues - anyone have a flatbed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020 | 05:15 PM

Flat bed truck fuel filler issues - anyone have a flatbed?

My truck has a flat bed installed, not even sure if it even came with a conventional bed as it started life as a dually conversion tow truck from what I have heard. The guy who put the flatbed on, well, it's jinky set up to say the least. The filler neck where you put the gas nozzle is bad enough, but somehow he also fubared the part that goes into the thank. Anyone have a flat bed on thier first gen here with pics of how they routed the fuel filler neck and what they used?
Old 05-24-2020 | 08:23 PM

Don't know if this will help, but here are some pics of my W350 SRW flatbed.

The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (05-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:10 PM

I don’t have any pics of it but when I put the flatbed on my W250 I cut a square hole in the top of the flatbed out towards the edge and turned it into a hinged lid. I used some flat strap and welded a bracket to the underside of the flatbed to hold the filler spout. Mounting it in this location kept it up out of the way and kept the angle right to not put any odd bends or unnecessary strain on the mounting point at the tank
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by honobiahunter
I don’t have any pics of it but when I put the flatbed on my W250 I cut a square hole in the top of the flatbed out towards the edge and turned it into a hinged lid. I used some flat strap and welded a bracket to the underside of the flatbed to hold the filler spout. Mounting it in this location kept it up out of the way and kept the angle right to not put any odd bends or unnecessary strain on the mounting point at the tank
That's what I wish had been done when my flatbed was built...But I wasn't there and didn't own the truck then...I still might arrange for some re-engineering though......Ben
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:23 PM

In hindsight, I’d say think long and hard about putting the filler on top of the bed. The only complaint I had on mine was that if/when I was hauling something that took up the whole bed top I couldn’t fill up with diesel unless I moved whatever it was that I was hauling OR I’d be sure that I had enough diesel to get where I was going without stopping for fuel
Old 05-25-2020 | 01:49 PM

Fuel doesn't like to run uphill

My deck is still sitting on a truck with in-cab tank ('77). I haven't decided the mounting height when I swap it to the W250, but if it ends up low, the fuel filler will get built into a 'bump' above deck level. Forklift/pallet loading can happen from the passenger side instead. When I rebuild the sides, one side will just have a notch.

Old 05-25-2020 | 05:30 PM

Thanks - it does help, I see you extended the hose basically, My entire set up is a freakin' mess man! I need the metal part that comes out of the tank at the very least, and going to fabricate up the part you fill up at the pump.

Originally Posted by Sheep Herder
Don't know if this will help, but here are some pics of my W350 SRW flatbed.

Old 05-29-2020 | 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by honobiahunter
In hindsight, I’d say think long and hard about putting the filler on top of the bed. The only complaint I had on mine was that if/when I was hauling something that took up the whole bed top I couldn’t fill up with diesel unless I moved whatever it was that I was hauling OR I’d be sure that I had enough diesel to get where I was going without stopping for fuel
I have a pretty good spot, I have a stake bed type set up so the fuel neck is outside where I carry a load as well, should be fine. I will post a pic as I work on this project. This truck is the most work on a cummins I have ever had so far.