1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Gens Retiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Gens Retiring ?

Howdy !!!!! Is it just me or are more and more 1st gens being laid to rest at an alarming rate ??????? Just don't see or here about em like we used to! Folks they don't make them any more. Remember so many people (me included) had 60s and 70s muscle cars and didn't keep them and many didn't survive and we all say if I only would have hung on to that car or truck many more would be here today??? We were able to keep one rare truck from extinct status. 1979 Dodge 4x4 Warlock not many around? Hats off to keeping old 1st Gen Diesels alive !!! Take Care Crossthread.........................
Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 PM

my 93 won't retire untill I do.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Age takes it's toll....

Personally, I think my 91 will last a while longer, then I have a couple kids that want to take it on after that.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm definatly going to keep mine as long as possible
Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM

mine'll outlast me long's I don't roll it into a ball ...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Wink The Trick Is To Fix

Way back when, all standard UPS trucks were of one design.

They used those same old trucks for years, repairing/replacing whatever was needed, keeping them in topnotch shape.

I tend to use the same reasoning with my slow growing fleet of 1st.Gen. engines/trucks.

It is way cheaper to repair the old than to buy the new.

I spend way less on actual repairs/replacements than the property taxes on a new truck, let alone the insurance, depreciation, and interest.

You can't look at repairing an old vehicle in the eyes of an investment banker , seeing only what the repaired vehicle will sell for, as opposed to the cost of the repairs; when looked at from that frame of mind, all of these trucks would already be sent to the crushers.

The way I look at it is that I have to have a truck that will perform certain tasks.

My older truck is better prepared to perform those tasks than any new truck on the lot; so, it is worth keeping in excellent mechanical condition, as it is not for sale, but for use.

Also, it would cost way more than my truck would bring to get a new truck outfitted the same, let alone the cost of the new truck.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 PM

couldn't agree more BK, ...I fantasize about all the things I'd do if I won the big lottery I'm in with a new 5th wheel tlr and new Diesel Dodge as prizes, ...first thing I'd do is sell the new truck and start on my list of renovations on my '93. Mine ain't for sale either, it's for me and I like this individual vehicle. I'd keep the tlr tho' ! ...
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM

i have used the same idea on our fleet of rigs on the farm. buy them and keep them in the best possible condition. every now and again we sell somthing off the farm and i allways have some one asking to buy it at my price. they know it has been well cared for. i have had people tell me i am crazy to drive such old rigs. but in the long run i enjoy them and so does my bank account.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Banned

Not too many people understand the term TRANSPLANT.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:04 AM

1st gen.

my 2 are the last vehicles i plan to buy for myself. enough of the gasser body parts a the same and the wrecked ones are dirt cheap. i have room to store several. wifes vehicle is another story though.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Chapter President

I am slowly in the process of restoring mine. Love the old style and the toughness of them. I don't really care about getting astronomical amounts of power out of them (although I know it can be done ) I will eventually get a new CTD as the family gets bigger, but the old first gen will still be sitting right beside the new one as long as I have a breath in my body.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 91.5 is about to be laid to rest. Fortunately, I'm finding another one to swap so it will be kept alive in one way or another. My next one will be real nice too since it won't be a rot box and thus I won't mind putting money into it.

The new trucks, as nice as they are, are lacking. I looked at a mega cab a couple days ago. What a joke, the seats are pathetic. Sure, they're big but the comfort is terrible they feel like boards with a little foam on them. And they expect me to pay $45000 for one?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM

When I bought my truck the owner was getting ready to trash it..

I knew what it was and bought it.. I got mine cheap $1500
with a little work and some time my truck is well on it way to being a great tow rig for me.. and it is paid for..

My 15 year old truck can run with all my freinds on road trips and they can never pull away from me..

oh and they have $400 or more a month car payments. hehhe NOt me
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine will be passed down to my son when the sad day comes that i can't drive it anymore, no rust problems down here so it will run on forever. I had a 79 Warlock edition 4X4 and sold it, have kicked myself ever since so I won't make that mistake again.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Mine does not have the best of bodies BUT from what I am reading here it should last even my life time IF kept up properly. My relatives think I am nuts to spend this much on a truck but will be quick and ready to take the same amount of money and buy a 79 chevy camero with a poor engine and fix that up. I will keep mine in the best of care as is possible and maybe start a collection.
Just my $.02 worth

dieseljon

Quick Reply: First Gens Retiring ?