1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Diesel Gen 1 Question from NG

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Man, I didn't know these trucks came with anything less than 200,000 miles. I think it's all matter of what you want. Both trucks will have their weak and strong points. I have a hand shaker. I won't own a diesel that is anything but. That is my opinion, and only my opinion. The way I look at it, Most every one (if you really have to), can slip a trans out and replace a clutch, Most every one cannot rebuild an automatic transmission. Plus when you get a "prius" behind you 5 gear at low mph and full throttle, makes alot of smoke to pour on that "gas sipping POS". I LOVE doing that.
Justin
Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You Guyz are great. THANK YOU for the o-pines.
Its maybe 6-4 for the 5 speed. ****, but that one with the auto is clean. I could beat up the guy with the 5 speed, but I only do that to a point. This guy has foster kids to feed, etc.
The creampuff is close to as nice as is still available out there. Both have new tires. Creampuff has been cared for by a bluehair. "Ranch-Truck" has been worked a bit, interior is OK, paint is kinda rasty, engine brake pops fuses. MAN I wish the cream puff wuz a stick! Yep, I can do a clutch. Even on a honking tranny, its still pretty simple. With the auto, I'm at the mercy of God-Knows-Who.
I'm still leaning toward the creampuff. You can see why! THANX!!! M1Lover

Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the creampuff. If you were sold on the 5 speed you would not have a debate. Seems like most people who love the stick hate the slushbox. If you would consider both, then you most likely will enjoy the auto. The paint and body is worth more than a tranny. My stepdad had a 3speed auto in an 89 ctd that was running strong at 350k when he wrecked it in 92. Then his replacement '92 ctd had 400k on it when he traded it off for a small freightliner a couple of years later. Half of the miles were pulling new rvs out of Elkhart, Indiana all over the country to dealers. Never spent a dime on tranny work, but always shifted manually when pulling and watched every guage but the speedo when he was pulling.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an auto in mine, with a tranny cooler the size of a Honda's radiator. Tow smart and keep the trans juice cool (I don't like to see anything higher than 170*) and the slushbox'll be fine. You can PM me with the number of the guy with the 5-speed. Bad paint and a shimmy are fine by me.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM

Nice truck. that thing would look killer with some mags,ditch the runnin boards, and ditch the cap. but im a kid so my opinion is different but that truck has a nice paint combo.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What nobody has asked is "What are you planning to use the truck to do?" If you want to do heavy towing (over 6k) I would get the manual trans truck. If not, get the creampuff and save up for a torque converter.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
What nobody has asked is "What are you planning to use the truck to do?" If you want to do heavy towing (over 6k) I would get the manual trans truck. If not, get the creampuff and save up for a torque converter.
i did... and suggested the same thing
Old 06-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by archer39
i did... and suggested the same thing
So you did, I missed that. Good work.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
So you did, I missed that. Good work.
thats because i remember someone suggesting the same thing to me when i was looking to get mine.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 PM

OK, I plan to tow my Massey Ferguson 245 tractor / loader with brush hog on a tandem axle trailer. GVW 10k pounds? I'm not hauling it around the country, just about 500 miles from AZ to NM. I was going to use my - erk - gas powered Chevy C2500 flatbed with 175k miles on it but just KNOW it'll grenade in Grants or someplace worse. I thought about renting a truck, but figure that's about a grand out the window, plus fuel... That and the occasional 28' Airstream to Mexico and back. Think the "slushbox" won't handle this if I do everything right? M1Lover
Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by M1Lover
OK, I plan to tow my Massey Ferguson 245 tractor / loader with brush hog on a tandem axle trailer. GVW 10k pounds? I'm not hauling it around the country, just about 500 miles from AZ to NM. I was going to use my - erk - gas powered Chevy C2500 flatbed with 175k miles on it but just KNOW it'll grenade in Grants or someplace worse. I thought about renting a truck, but figure that's about a grand out the window, plus fuel... That and the occasional 28' Airstream to Mexico and back. Think the "slushbox" won't handle this if I do everything right? M1Lover
with a built auto you should be fine. add an aux. trans if you don't already have one and trans temp gauge. i pull my 6500# gvw camper 28 foot with no problems as long as i watch the trans temp. i can run 50-60 up the biggest hills in PA. this is with a rebuild torque converter that the previous owner put in.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

For a one-time run with the big load the auto will be OK. That's kind of a big TT you have, and Airstreams aren't made out of toothpicks. I would lean more towards the stick truck. You said it has an exhaust brake? That is a BIG plus, especially in hilly country. If it will go more miles towing than unloaded, get the manual truck. This is not because I think the auto will blow up, it's just that the manual truck will give you much better performance and control with the load.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
My auto tows 4,000-14,000lbs of beef, boat or hay an average of maybe a couple times a month anywhere from a few miles to maybe a hundred or so.

It has done fine with only synthetic fluid and an underbed cooler.

I wish I had a better converter and I wish I could put an exhaust brake on it though.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I carry my lunch pail around, does that count?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Consider this: I recently puchased a stock clutch DISK from Auto Zone for about $72 bucks. (No pressure plate or Pilot bearing) My pressure plate was still in fine condition, and i did not have it surfaced. Seems like the best way to surface it would be to rub a clutch disk against it for 387,000 miles anyway. If you want to pull, get a five-speed. They're doggy enough with 5 gears. If you want to race tuners get the auto. The stick will sound better, get better mileage, and last longer (my 1st tranny = 318,000 miles) Just use heavy oil, or overfill by 1 quart.

Also to be Considered: Tranny swap?

Consider gear ratios too. If iether one has low gears, i would pass. Low gears = high rpm = high fuel consumption and increased wear. Not sure what the higher gears are in a 4sp, but the ratio to get for the 5 sp is the 3:55.

It's your choice. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: First Diesel Gen 1 Question from NG