1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Diesel Gen 1 Question from NG

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First Diesel Gen 1 Question from NG

Hey ladies and gents: New Guy seriously looking at 2 Dodge trucks: #1 is a creampuff '93 Dodge 2500 club cab LE with 127k miles on it. All the gauges and goodies. Has an auto trans. $5900, garage kept and its a 8.9 out of 10.
I know this subject has been clubbed to death and I apologize, but didn't some of the early automatic trannys have a tendency to die a hard death prematurely? I have a choice between this truck that's awesome with matching camper shell and another one, truck #2, same year same gold/maroon with 147k but it has a 5 speed manual, for $4500. Paint is very faded on hood and roof. Never seen a garage. but not beat up. May need a clutch and some front end work (shimmy at 65). Which would YOU pick, oh wizen Dodge drivers?? What about them auto tranny's? Do they really grenade?
THANX, M1Lover
Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a mechanic and I am no expert on transmissions. That being said I have had two '92 D250s, both with over 100k mi and both with Auto Trans. I prefer the Auto and have never had any problems with either. If it was me (and it's not) I'd get the Creampuff. My first was in excellent shape, but I sold it. Now my second is kinda FUGLY and even though it's great I miss the nice one...
Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 PM

i have a 89 5 speed and love it. the paint isn't in the best shape but the body is perfect and the interior looks brand new. i had bad luck with the tranny in a 95 12 valve that i bought that was auto and ever since then i just haven't trusted them. they may be great trannys just have never had any problems out of my standards. but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just rebuild my auto tranny with 265,000 miles on it! In a truck, with stock engine configuration, the auto tranny tends to do just fine. With the slushy stock torque converter, it's hard to get enough torque and power to the transmission to really make it "grenade." And there's plenty of members here that are sporting modified fuel/air systems (some of them heavily modified) and still running a stock transmission with no hardships.

So am I saying go for the creampuff? I guess I'm not sure myself. You'll certainly get better fuel economy with the 5 speed. I feel lucky to be getting about 22 mpg with my fresh transmission setup. I've seen some 5 speeders getting upwards of 24-27 mpg. It also depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you're planning lots of towing, my preference is to have a 5 speed. I know some people don't agree with this. It's just my preference. I'm a reluctant automatic owner as it is. Though I have more respect for the automatic after doing the rebuild myself. I understand it better anyway.

It sounds like both trucks are priced fairly. And have low miles to boot.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Chapter President

all depend on what you plan on doing with it. if you are towing heavy and often the manual is the way to go. the auto's don't have lock up torque converter so they do struggle when towing heavy. that being said, if you chose to build up the auto with after market parts and put some money into it it can be fine to tow with. as far as the front end on the stick goes, i would look into exactly what is wrong. front end repairs can get mighty expensive. if you need to put money into the front end and the clutch on the stick that might be more than what it would cost to build up the trans in the auto.

so it all comes down to what you plan on doing with the truck and what you prefer (stick or auto).
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get the 5spd just because I have had a 3spd auto for awhile now and I wish I had more gears but the 93 will have OD so that would make it better.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My auto has 189K on it and still ticking, and it gats hammered on from time to time. I think the bad rap these tran`s get is more aimed at the lock up units. You have a tough choice there, cosmetics are secondary to me so as long a neither truck has any significant rust I might consider the 5sp...only because I have never owned a stick/Cummins.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think both trans have their weak points. The 5spd will do better on the MPG. And also on resale. Plus with a straight pipe it has the big rig sound.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 PM

I would buy the manual. I already spent so much money on my truck. I'll have 2G's in my auto and could have gotten away with a $600 clutch to tolerate the same abuse. But when done I will always outrun you in the 1/4!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just got a 5 speed 4WD '90 and I love it. The diesel sound seems more pronounced when you have to let the revs drop to shift.

The paint on mine was toast (bare metal on hood and roof), but by Sunday it'll look like new, all for about $300 in materials (B6/B2 two-tone BC/CC) and 20 or 30 hours of my time.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 PM
alwaysonDTR

5 speed and if the paint is bad maybe they'll go lower on the price
Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 PM

This truck right here is what your getting i guess. haha. this truck is a 93 and has the automatic in it never touched just serviced with over 200000 on it. still shifts perfect. 5 speeds have there problems and body work aint cheap. id go with the cream puff because it already has gauges and stuff. and with some work done to the automatic it can be beefed up and be fun to drive with some mods. and yet still have a nice truck. click on the link below.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...dneck19/LF.jpg
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

i love my 5 speed ive had a automatic and i would take the 5 speed any day
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Nothing wrong with the auto,218,000 miles and never a problem never have added fluid just a couple services. Pulled some pretty good loads and it will smoke the tires.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd go for the creampuff and take your chances with the auto. Even if it does die you'll have less $$ in rebuilding the auto or swapping to a 5 Speed than bringing the more beat up truck to the quality of the creampuff IMO.

Quick Reply: First Diesel Gen 1 Question from NG