1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

finaly got it out!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finaly got it out!!!!!

Well school was called today. Due to a fire, the school gym burnt to the ground last night. The school has been wanting a new gym for 3 years now, and has everything they need to biuld it but money. So I guess we are getting a new gym!!!!!

But on the good side it gave me an entire day to get my IP out! And it did take the whole day! The top 2 screws holding in were easy, but the 3 was a pain in the back side. I ended up cutting a 13mm open end in half to get it out! But it came out, then I took off the nut holding it on from the other side and figured it should just pull right out. Well It didn't I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. So I got out the book, and read the insturctions, says i needed a H puller. So i got one of them and hooked it up and the darn thing poped right out.

It took alot of time but wasn't a hard job. The hardest part was that darn bolt holding it in, the one under the pump what a pain. I'll take it down to the rebiuld shop tomarrow.

dose someone have a link for the 3200 rmp gov spring? I am gonna have them put it in wail they have it apart.

Coop
Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

ARSON ??

link for the spring, the rebuild shop should have access to them.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM

The part number is in the tech facts.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:15 PM

They make a nice J shaped wrench for that back bolt... it makes it easy... sometime you can get to it with a long extension... I would suggest buying a cheap 13m wrench and bending it...
Bryan
Old 10-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The $10 "S" wrench set from Harbor Freight has a 13mm that works like a charm on that bottom bolt.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:15 PM

I will hope the shop has a 3200 for me. but if they dont where is the best place to get them quick? Napa?

It wouldn't suprize me if it was arson, but the point is that nothing can happen without the gym. The sports locker rooms are there, all of the dances including Home comming, pearent teacher conferences are coming up, and anything where the whole school has to be together. All of the sports stuff was in there, we dont even have football gear for the home coming game! everything is a total loss. But what can you do, not much.

Coop
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 PM

Well hopefully they are a Bosch authorized service shop. If so, they can get you a 366 gov spring. But they may not warranty the pump if you want them to install that gov spring.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The $10 "S" wrench set from Harbor Freight has a 13mm that works like a charm on that bottom bolt.
I just went to NAPA and bought a cheap set for $10. Alot of auto parts stores carry those.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I will second that, used it to change the timing last week. On mine the 13mm fit sloppy though, the 1/2 in the SAE set worked much better. YMMV
Old 10-13-2005, 04:05 PM

alright, dad droped the pump off this morning and told them he wanted a 3200 rpm gov spring. The guy had no idea what he was talking about. He said there is a screw on the front of the pump that adjusts how high the engine revs. He has never put a 3200 spring in, to change the gov he just turns the screw.

What do I do? sould I get a spring on the net and send it to him to put in or just turn the screw? Also do the 3200's blow the tips of the shut down selonid off?

Coop
Old 10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Get a spring and have him put it in, or do it yourself before the pump goes back on.

I'm not sure why the shutoff solenoid plungers get torn up. I modified mine a little and it's lasted several months so far. I chucked it in a drill and used 400 grit sandpaper to grind the end flat, then I put a nice radius on the edge. I also stretched the spring a little to make up for the shorter length.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM

why go with the spring over the turn of a screw?

This guy seemed to know what he was talking about, and I couldn't belive he has never done a sping.

what is the best place to get a spring quick...

COop
Old 10-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

The screw doesn't raise the point that the pump starts to cut fuel, it just raises the maximum no-load RPM. Really pretty worthless unless you need another 3 or 4 mph on the top end. The spring makes the pump give full fuel to a higher RPM, it gives you more top end power. Also it is much stiffer, which has a big effect on throttle response. You can drive with your big toe instead of with your whole foot, if that makes sense.

I'm sure PDR would ship you one quick, but that'll cost you.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any Bosch dealer will be able to get the spring provided they have a part #. The high idle screw that fella is refering to simply allows the throttle linkage to pull harder/further on the existing gov spring. It'll give you few more rpm, but the strength of the spring will still be overcome by the gov flyweights close to the rated RPM of that spring. Simply put, you will NOT get the same results a 3200 rpm spring will provide by adjusting the high idle screw. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang it Dave, you beat me to it again!

Quick Reply: finaly got it out!!!!!