1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

finally towed w/ my rig-have concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How high above grade is your hitch ball? Above 18-19" will usually cause loss of rear wheel traction in a panic stop. Use the proper drop hitch.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont agree with that fully. But I see your point in that. Your hitch hight should be so the trailer is at least level with a load on it.

There are a ton of things that can contribute to your predicament. It should not pull like that. A little is to be expected for the road surface wear and the fact your towing, but I havent ever driven a 100,000 pound log truck that ever pulled left or right while hard breaking either so..... Just begin by checking all the usual suspects, take a day and pull the wheel off and check all your steering componants. All it takes is one link in the chain to cause problems.

I am not quite understanding how the RWAL is going to mess with steering under hard braking. I understand one side locking up and not the other. But I have driven my far share of pickups with one side locking up or braking better then the other and NEVER had a problem stopping at high speeds (highway speed) Non working trailer brakes will throw ya, I have seen my trailer try to pass me before. Better look into the trailer brakes while your at it.

Like said before all that weight transfer is going to amplify a small problem you never knew you had before.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I do not see this as an RWAL problem either. It sounds to me like worn spring hangers.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem as you.

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I do not see this as an RWAL problem either. It sounds to me like worn spring hangers.
This is about the only part that has play in my front end so i am hope it fixes the problem for me when i get around to replacing them.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Totallyrad
Bigragu, if I remember correctly, the ABS light would come on for a second or two at start-up on my 93. Remember that when you make a panic stop your front end dips heavily, even while towing. If you have any play in the steering, and most 1st gens do, it will be magnified by the weight transfer to the front during hard braking. You also have the extra weight pushing you and you probably don't have brakes on the boat trailer so no help there. You could have a truck with -0- play in the steering, flawless brakes and it could still walk side to side in your scenario because you cannot cancel out the wear in the road surface. The surface wear may not look like much but it will pull you all over the place. You stated you've had this truck for 5 years and haven't towed with it until now. I'd humbly encourage you to drive a little more defensively until you get used to the characteristics of the truck while towing.
Yeah, for the most part my steering is ok. I failed to tell you all that I did install the borgeson shaft, which helped with the death wobble I was starting to get 2 years ago.
My height of truck is stock, so boat height wasn't too bad, almost level.
wannadiesel, about the springs, yeah, I probably need to upgrade those or get my skyjacker lift kit I have been dreaming about to cure tire rubbing on the wheel wells. I had Sacramento spring company evaluate my springs last year and they said my front shackles were as far to the rear tilted and touching the frame, which they said was nt good, so I suppose my front springs are old and tired. I installed new shocks on the truck 6 months ago(forgot to mention that also).
I appreciate all the replies, and by the looks of this post, it got alot of you all wondering about your own rigs. Hopefully your questions were answered somewhat also. I will look into diconnecting the rwalb system tonight, so hopefully a change.

Sometimes I wonder if this was all the result of an elk hunting trip I had 4 years ago, chasing down a herd at around 35 mph and I flew into a deep trench and hit the front of the tires so bad my steering wheel was off center to the right on the way home. I took it to Big O to have them check for front axle/suspension damage and none was shown, and the alignment was still true. To this day, I have not seen any damage from that, but wonder if my pull to the right while heavy braking has something to do w/ that.