1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

finally got a 47rh, with blue converter? and should i just run it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally got a 47rh, with blue converter? and should i just run it?

Well I finally found me a lockup 47rh transmission, and yesterday I went and pulled it out of a 94 wrecked 1 ton dodge. He wanted $400 for it and asked if i pulled it if he'd take any off and said if i pulled the motor and trans then I could have the tranny for $300, so me and my friend went and did the dirty work yesterday and had it all out in a little over 4 hours. I drove the truck a few weeks ago and it seemed to shift okay, but I didn't take it far since it was wrecked and only got it into 2nd gear. He said it had been rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago and that it ran good before it was wrecked. I got the whole tranny, tc, and the two 3 prong plugs that go into the tranny. I may get the flexplate too, but he said he'd have to see who buys the motor and see if they needed it or not.
Name:  47rh002.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  106.0 KB
I was surprised how clean the motor and tranny was for havin 290,000 miles on it, and the flexplate seemed good, the tc looked fairly new and its a blue one that says "518 Diesel" and "18314" on it with yellow marker. Are the 518 and 47rh converters the same or close? i was just wonderin why it would say 518 on it. The transmission looks different than my 518, so i'm pretty sure its a 47rh. And what brand is a blue torque converter? or do ya think its just a replacement one? The fluid looked good that leaked out of it, and i already bought a 2nd gen thicker adapter plate to make it work. All i need is a 2nd gen flexplate and starter. I'm thinkin I'll just put it in the way it is for now and adjust it, turn up the pressure and runs some amsoil in it. I'll want to put the lockup on a switch. I just don't have the money to build it up right now and where it still goes, i figured it'd be a lot better than the trans i got, even though its stock. Do ya think it'd handle my power better than my 518? or do ya think i oughta wait and build it up before i swap it in?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least put a converter in it before you put it back in. That'll make the biggest difference.

It's going to feel exactly the same until the converter locks up pretty much. It'll feel just as "slippery" if that is a stock TC (which it most likely is, however it could be a napa stocker or something, therefore it's blue)

No part numbers anywhere on the TC ? Check the flat side real good for a PN or mopar emblem or something.

I can tell you the stock tc in the 96 is RUST color when you look at it through that little plate that comes off......

OH and the 518 and 47rh converters are different, someone probably wrote 518 on it not knowing it was not a 518 or something...hopefully
Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Chapter President

what does the pan look like and the fluid? Don't take anyone word on how long ago it was rebuilt unless if you have the paperwork to prove it. If you don't have the paperwork to show what and when things were done REBUILD it. that is unless if you like taking them in and out and wasting a 100 dollars on fluid every time you take the trans out. but that is just my 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM

This thing looks almost identical to my a518... is is really supposed to look that similar??? I hope i didn't get a freakin 518, but it can't be cuz on the hood of the truck it said 4 speed auto 47rh, and it had the thicker 2nd gen adapter plate on the motor so a 518 wouldn't work with the thicker adapter plate right? And good point guys... I'm still debating on this, we'll see how long the tranny i have now lasts, that will determine a lot. I'll look for some numbers tomorrow brandon.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM

they may have given you a 47 trans and a 518 non lock converter?

Was this a salvage yard or just a guy parting out a truck ?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM

a guy parting out a truck, he owned a body/paint shop and was trying to sell the whole truck or part it out so i just got the trans. But where he said its been rebuilt I wonder if something got swapped or somethin seems fishy here.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
they may have given you a 47 trans and a 518 non lock converter?

Was this a salvage yard or just a guy parting out a truck ?
Brandon,

What you trying to do to the poor guy, keep him from sleeping?

From looking at the picture and knowing enough about them, that's a 47RH without a doubt, input shaft has a hole through it and a pilot area. And the converter looks like the thicker lockup ones. The input shafts lockup vs non-lockup have a different spline count.

The blue paint is just happens to be the color the rebuild shop paints them, I have a brand new billet cover single disc that is painted the same color. The reality of it, doesn't mean a thing, could be a tighter one or it could just be a stock replacement.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Hahaha Mike , wasn't trying to get him worried. I was under the impression he bought it all from a salvage yard, Now i see he's got it from a regular guy just parting a truck out It's 99.9% the right converter (someone unknowlingly wrote 518 on the converter just to get Austin worried )

Unfortunely I've learned to always assume the worst (since that's how everything in my life goes), If theres even a SLIGHT chance of something being incorrect or going wrong, It'll happen to me
Old 09-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Did you get the adapter plate and starter? how much was he asking for the motor?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM

oh good... I figured it'd have to be a 47rh though since it was from a 94 and the motor still had the thicker adapter plate on it. And i thought the same thing when i saw 518 written on the converter, that they probably didn't know exactly the real name, but i had the thought in the back of my mind that it could be a 518. Don't they sometimes call a 47rh a 618? It looks almost identical to my 518 though by just looking at it from the side. I'll look at it more today and see if i can find some more numbers and stuff.

I bought a 2nd gen adapter plate from another guy. This guy wanted the starter, plate, and flexplate to stay with the motor since he's sellin it. He only wanted $1500 for the motor but the odometer read 290,000 on it. But we were wondering if it had been rebuilt or somethin cuz one of the motor mounts had a different size nut and bolt in it and the motor and tranny looked really clean, no leaks anywhere, even the rear main seal! I woulda liked to buy the whole truck but didn't have the money.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM

I looked at the tc, and couldn't find any numbers or anything on it, even on the back. It had a tiny little emblem on it that didn't look familiar to me at all, I can get a pic of it if i need to and maybe you guys will know what it is. It just says "518 diesel" and "18314" in yellow marker on the tc and the same number is written on the bell housing of the trans. It has "238-1" big on both sides of the the bellhousing, but I'm guessing thats just a casting number? otherwise I can't find any numbers on it anywhere or anything. It has the chrysler emblem on the tailhousing and thats about it. How else can i tell this is a 47rh for sure??? i just want to know what i got before i get more parts or start tearin into things...
Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
How else can i tell this is a 47rh for sure??? i just want to know what i got before i get more parts or start tearin into things...
Originally Posted by JD730
From looking at the picture and knowing enough about them, that's a 47RH without a doubt, input shaft has a hole through it and a pilot area. And the converter looks like the thicker lockup ones. The input shafts lockup vs non-lockup have a different spline count.
Also, look at the rear of the main case were the rear servo is, it has those reinforcing ribs. The plug on top behind the shifter will have 3 pins. The tail housings are the same from the 518 to the 47RH's.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Many rebuild shops refer the them as 518's. If you say 47RH they think 47RE.

The case in your picture is a 94+ dodge trans. Assuming the plug for the od is an oval 3 wire plug- you've got it. That sounds like it to me.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 PM

ID say run it, transgo shift kit and some new fluid and add the goodies when the funds allow..
Here is where I put the lock up switch on my truck, simply the best spot IMho, no reaching, bending Perfect!!

Name:  IMG_1236.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  142.7 KB
Old 09-07-2010, 12:37 PM

yeah after lookin at it, it is a 47rh from what you guys are saying. Wew I'm glad it is, i was worried there for a while...

I'm still debatin what i want to do, If i should keep this tranny in and burn it to the ground and see what it can take, then put the 47rh in, or if i should just swap it soon with my a518 still fairly good and be able to sell it, or at least for a core or somethin. Or if i should just wait and baby this tranny along and get the 47rh built up... I'm thinkin about tryin to rebuild it myself since tranny shops are so freakin expensive.

If i put this 47rh in, it probably wont be for another month or so til i get everything gathered to do the swap. But if i put it in, could I just keep it locked up most the time with a switch? or is that not good? I'm kinda new to all this lockup stuff. Also how do you install a lockup switch? do you just put a switch on the od/lockup connector that i got with the tranny? Or do i need a pressure switch?

Also will my a518, with the 1st gen engine plate adapter, flexplate, starter and everything fit on a 4bt??

Quick Reply: finally got a 47rh, with blue converter? and should i just run it?