1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

It finally gave out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Post It finally gave out.

It finally gave out.

I have been doing a lot of long hours working lately when last Thursday in the early AM around 4:00 I went to leave and got the sound you don't like to hear, the sound of the Cummins NOT coming to life. I have noticed for the last week or so when I would shut down the engine in a drive through so they could take my order that when I would restart the lights would dim quite noticeably so it wasn't a real surprise.

Luckily all I had to do was to push a switch and parallel my Aux-2 battery into the start circuit and it came to life.

On Friday I stopped into Auto Zone and ask if they could load test my main and to my surprise there was a GIRL behind the counter that actually knew how to run the tester so after I disconnected all of the automatic sensors we were able to check the batteries.
As suspected it was bad.

My battery is an Interstate Workaholic but for an idea I ask for a price for a replacement battery, She checked on the computer and it shows they DO NOT have a replacement Group-31 battery for my truck.

The manager said they do not carry them anymore, I hope he was mistaken because I have a Duralast brand Group-31 as my Aux-2 battery which the computer could not find that I had bought from them about a year ago.

Maybe this is how they are going to handle the warranty on the remaining batteries by telling you that you never had one?

On Saturday afternoon we went to the Interstate Distribution Center in Upland, Ca. so I do not have to deal with the middle man and had him load check the battery, it was down to 250 CCA capacity.

I bought a new Interstate Workaholic Group-31 battery and actually did the installation myself because I think he was overwhelmed by a couple of extra wires the size of garden hose routing around the engine compartment.

This is what I bought,
Item number.
#AIB02042 31P MHD

$111.95
$ 10.07 tax
$122.02 total

24 months free replacement and the remaining 36 months pro-rated.

By checking registration on the battery I had installed this in my truck in year 2000 so I am pleased I had 7 years of service from it.

I start the engine average 10 times a day and it night I leave all of my lights on when I stop.

The engine starts on the first revolution and the lights do not dim once again.

I always buy the biggest and best I can find the first time.

With the cold months headed out way especially for you on the other side of the country from me on the East coast now is a good time to check out your charging system and have your battery load tested to head off and starting problems you might have when the white stuff is covering the ground, also don’t forget to check your Grid Heaters and Block Heater as well.

Jim
Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Post Jim.. sounds like you got a great deal on teh battery too..
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I just bought the same battery, over here in the land of the free, except as an appearance blem, same warranty, for $38.

I don't even notice the scratch.

For the last several years, I have not bought anything except appearance blem batteries; I've not got a bad one yet.

If you have an Interstate warehouse in your area, this is something well worth looking into; don't expect to get them at just a dealer, as they are only available from the distributor.

The little batteries only cost twenty bucks; but, who uses little batteries ??
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
7 years is a good long life from a battery. Personally I don't push it, I change it after 2 winters.

My dad's beater minivan is still running a Delco battery I put in way back in '96. I'm trying to get him to let me change it because I don't want him stranded somewhere - but I'm also more than a little curious as to how long it will go.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a group 31 yellowtop Optima about six months ago for a hundred bucks(normal price, my cost 180.00) because it was an econo power model. Someone warrantied it but it was still good. You can get the red tops for 55.00

I had the same experience at autozone with not having a group 31.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by leper
I had the same experience at autozone with not having a group 31.

The Autozones, Advances, etc., are more consumer oriented; whereas, Group-30 and 31 batteries are more often found in big trucks, farm tractors, and the like, with the few years of Dodge/Cummins being the only light-truck sized vehicles that came with them as original.

That being said, it is often convenient that those types of stores remain open way past bed-time, and late on Saturdays and even Sundays; sometimes they will have something that will get things back on the road again.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got a Douglas that's pushing 2.5 years with no trouble.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Would it be over kill to run 2 group 31 batteries on these trucks? Mine has always started fine with one, guess i should not mess with success! haha
ez
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ez_lle71
Would it be over kill to run 2 group 31 batteries on these trucks?
yes

With an air-tight fuel system and fuel that's treated for cold temperatures, there's no reason 1 group 31 battery won't start a 1st gen. When my voltage regualtor took out the battery the truck came with, it was a cold January morning....about 15*F. I pulled the junk battery and removed the charge line from the alternator (overcharging issue) I unplugged the grid heaters and installed my garden tractor battery....300cca There was barely a discernable difference in how the truck started. I even ran the truck all day untill I found time to install a new voltage regulator. Now I keep a spare behind the seat

Bottom line:Airtight fuel that's properly treated and a functioning factory charging system/battery=1st gen running Down to about -25*F it's gonna reliably start day after day without being plugged in.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM

I get 8-10 years from all my batteries...I got some interstate,tojan's for trailer,Optima's (gaser),roughrider's and CT's
Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ez_lle71
Would it be over kill to run 2 group 31 batteries on these trucks? Mine has always started fine with one, guess i should not mess with success! haha
ez
Sure, one battery will start these engines, no problem; BUT, me being me, I have THREE Group 31S on my F-350/Cummins that sling it nearly loose from the mounts when I hit the starter.

Why do I think I need three ??

I often use my truck to make my living, hauling someone else's high-dollar cattle many hundreds of miles away from home.

I like to have as much insurance against getting them stranded along the way as I can.

I have had my eye on a small generator, at Harbor Freight, that not only generates A/C current, but also has 12-volt D/C capability to charge, and probably jump-start 12-volt systems; I intend to mount that jewel somewhere on the trailer, or possibly under the truck, for "just-in-case".

I also intend to sort of copy after Jim Lane's system of being able to isolate a couple of the batteries, so that, should the starting battery fail, it won't kill the others and I can then bring them up to the firing line, so to speak.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G1625S

Bottom line:Airtight fuel that's properly treated and a functioning factory charging system/battery=1st gen running Down to about -25*F it's gonna reliably start day after day without being plugged in.
Come hang out with me at -40* for a while. And bring your garden tractor battery. Really cold weather is hard on EVERYTHING including batteries. Having duals is good insurance and can be the difference between getting started or not. Trust me a running truck is a good thing when it's that cold.

That said, an air tight fuel system is also a must have.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 PM

I think its dumb that AutoZone doesn't carry a group 31. I brought this to the attention of my store manager and he asked me why I was so retarded lol. Fact of the matter is, they do have a duralast gold group 31. It just doesn't come up in the computer because technically its a commercial battery. Instead of the top post style, its just a set of studs sticking out of the top. In which case, you walk over 10 feet to the battery accessories, and there are screw on top posts. Anyway long story short, The group 31 is right on the battery rack. It's black so just look for it. 1000 CCA and all. Jim, my advice to you is to make sure your warranty information is all under the same phone number. I run into this all the time because the customer doesnt think to look under a previous phone number. They can also do a search with your last name and the store that you bought it at. That will bring up all of the phone numbers you have warranty information on. I'd be glad to help you out if you're wanting to get that battery warrantied still. I'll find your info, PM me if interested.
On another note, my O'Really's battery seems to be working very well still.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I could have replaced the main battery any where along the way but I load test my batteries probably every couple of months to have an idea of the overall condition, also I have a redundant starting system where I can always parallel my Aux-2 group-31 on line and if that fails I can also start with my 8-D deep cycle from the back in the bed all without leaving the drivers seat.

If I ever do need a jump I can pull out my 35’ 2ga. jumper cables from the back of the truck and wait for something big to come along.

Only 2 batteries?

I have 2 Group-31 batteries under the hood but they are paralleled through a separator so they are 2 separate systems so the second battery will remain charged even if the main goes dead.

I can then electronically connect it into the starting circuit if I need to.

I also have the lighting loads connected to the Aux-2 battery through a switch, so I can select which battery to draw from for the long nights when I have all of the lights burning while the truck is stationary.

I like to have a redundant system when I work all hours of the night.

Part of my survival kit includes a small 50-amp battery charger and 150’ power cord.

Our Fire Trucks and Paramedics Squads have dual start capabilities as well as a lot of our ambulances.

Now if I can find an appropriate Coffman starter for my Cummins I’ll be all set.

How cool would that be to be imbedded deep in the ghetto of Los Angeles and fire the Coffman at 3:00 A.M.?

Jim
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Come hang out with me at -40* for a while. And bring your garden tractor battery. Really cold weather is hard on EVERYTHING including batteries. Having duals is good insurance and can be the difference between getting started or not. Trust me a running truck is a good thing when it's that cold.

That said, an air tight fuel system is also a must have.

Well, it's a long ways from +15*F to -40*FI don't know how you folks in the great North even get away with shutting your vehicles off

Quick Reply: It finally gave out.