1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

finally done with my nv4500 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks awesome!! one question what is 5spd insert $130 ?
I have a brand new AA sitting ready to go in mine and need to get the parts list ready to
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by roxxx
looks awesome!! one question what is 5spd insert $130 ?
I have a brand new AA sitting ready to go in mine and need to get the parts list ready to
No the $130 is for all the parts segmented together. All were purchased threw Dodge: Shifter handle, ****, finisher, nut, 5 qrts NV4500 oil, and 2 tubes of permatex gasket maker. The oil is $15 a qrt. But dont be cheap on it. I read alot of horror stories when people used different brands. Even well known brands like RP and Amsoil. The mopar and the same stuff from a Chevy dealer is the only one approved by the manufacturer.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by freight train
No the $130 is for all the parts segmented together. All were purchased threw Dodge: Shifter handle, ****, finisher, nut, 5 qrts NV4500 oil, and 2 tubes of permatex gasket maker. The oil is $15 a qrt. But dont be cheap on it. I read alot of horror stories when people used different brands. Even well known brands like RP and Amsoil. The mopar and the same stuff from a Chevy dealer is the only one approved by the manufacturer.
I was planing on using the syntoqure from dodge. AA sent theirs out with amsoil I really haven't measured my bearing retainer but was hoping it didn't have to be cut treally not looking forward to that
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea i had to go to the nearby Mom&pop part store and get them to order me up syncromesh oil for the NV3500 in my chevy.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I've been running Lucas 75/90 in my 4500 for 2 years and and 20 hooks and it still works like it should

freight train, yess it is 4x4x1/4
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM

roxxx I hate to break it to you but unless someone else cut it already im pretty sure all the retainers come from the manufacturer too long. Its not bad to do it. If the tranny is used I would order a new seal for it, if its a fresh rebuild I would just be carefull taking it off the tranny. The machine shop I took it to put it on a lathe and cut it true and straight. He got it to within .0012" of where AA recommended. Plus he put the slight tapper on the inside and outside edges.

Pulltilbroke: I read a couple of the threads on the second gen furoms and it seemed most people who used different oils had issues. Maybe it was just bad luck. I decided not to test fate. Since it seems Murphy has it out for me Thanks for the measurments.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM

roxxx I hate to break it to you but unless someone else cut it already im pretty sure all the retainers come from the manufacturer too long. Its not bad to do it. If the tranny is used I would order a new seal for it, if its a fresh rebuild I would just be carefull taking it off the tranny. The machine shop I took it to put it on a lathe and cut it true and straight. He got it to within .0012" of where AA recommended. Plus he put the slight tapper on the inside and outside edges.

Pulltilbroke: I read a couple of the threads on the second gen furoms and it seemed most people who used different oils had issues. Maybe it was just bad luck. I decided not to test fate. Since it seems Murphy has it out for me Thanks for the measurments.
how the heck did they put it on the lathe ?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 AM

The lathe they used is huge. It was longer than my truck. I think it had 4 mounting points. Jaw like clamps, they look like they opened up big enough to put a basketball or maybe bigger in it. Thats what took the longest. Him getting it straight and true. Once he had it where he wanted it it only took him 10 min to cut it. Deffinitely better than using a hacksaw as in AA instructions.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 AM

www.polybushings.com for trans mounts
Old 07-20-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm just curious, why did you use an adapter and not just get a NV4500 bellhousing and all the related components? It would seem to be about the same price either way.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAMMAN4
I'm just curious, why did you use an adapter and not just get a NV4500 bellhousing and all the related components? It would seem to be about the same price either way.
Unless you know where a parts truck is currently located I have to beg to differ! If you count the motor plate, bell, fork, slave, starter, and not to mention you still have to make up your own tranny mount to the cross member. And make up your own transfer case shifter braket/hookup! Your way more than I spent! I got lucky and found a used (in perfect shape AA bell! And ordered the rest from AA new. I was able to use my stock starter, motor plate, and slave! You can do this swap eitherway. But in my own opinion the AA bell makes the install alot easier and cheaper! I got lucky and found a brand new tranny. Thats why I had to buy a shifter and stuff. If you have a used one you probably would get it!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bogie
www.polybushings.com for trans mounts
Thank you very much Bogie! I am calling them tomorrow!!!! Also I just realized I put the moounts on backwards! That would explain why the clearance issue between the plate and crossmember. That will be addresses when these are installed!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Unless you know where a parts truck is currently located I have to beg to differ! If you count the motor plate, bell, fork, slave, starter, and not to mention you still have to make up your own tranny mount to the cross member. And make up your own transfer case shifter braket/hookup! Your way more than I spent! I got lucky and found a used (in perfect shape AA bell! And ordered the rest from AA new. I was able to use my stock starter, motor plate, and slave! You can do this swap eitherway. But in my own opinion the AA bell makes the install alot easier and cheaper! I got lucky and found a brand new tranny. Thats why I had to buy a shifter and stuff. If you have a used one you probably would get it!
Same here i found new tranny and I priced out the parts which is a nightmare up here .... I ordered from AA yesterday i when i found the tranny it has shifter and oil even right from AA (they say to use the Amsoil)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freight train - thanks for posting these pics of your conversion. Getting ready to remove my Getrag and install the Nv4500 in the D350 crew cab. It looks like I'll not have clearance problems with my bench seat at all, something that concerned me after seeing the shorter NV shifter and it's more rearward located shift tower.