1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Finally, 8 months later and the M&H KSB spacer is on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Finally, 8 months later and the M&H KSB spacer is on!

I know a lot of you folks that did this mod had no trouble getting the stock bolts out with your T30 torx bit, but spaz's like myself didn't have it so easy. After spending a few more bucks on needle nose vise grips, misc bits, and even random types of EZ outs all I did was keep stripping/rounding off the bolt head on one of them. After numerous attempts I finally gave up which is not the way I was wired/designed. Bugged me for 8 months to stare at this Baggie of expensive items. Figured if I ever needed to pull the vac and power steering pump I'd try it again. The other day I was cruising thru my local Ace hardware and saw a set of EZ out bits, but styled like a nut driver meant to go right into your chuckless makita drill. I said well that would give me better room as the same manufacturer makes the same concept but only in a socket style, 3/8 drive which, when put on an extension, would run into that blasted vac pump and not give me the angle I needed to get a bite on the bolt head. Well these nut driver style, when adapted to a 1/4" short socket and 1/4" ratchet, popped those bolts off 1st try. Soon as I got it on the head of the bolt, I applied push pressure, and one twist and the bolts cracked free. The maker of these is Irwin Power Grip, part # 394100. 7 piece set for about $22. You will be using the 10mm driver out of the set. Just thought I'd pass this on to whoever has put this off due to those stubborn bolts. Now you ask me "how does it drive with the mod?" I'll know tomorrow when I get up. Hopefully this'll clear up my forever haze I've had from my PODs. What a great week so far- new brakes and another mod towards performance! I know I know... Sounds corny. PS- I would post a pic, but stupid that way. PM me your cell and ill send you the pic of how I rigged the Irwin tool
Old 09-07-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Please enlighten me; what on earth is a "M&H KSB spacer" ??

I am assuming it goes on the injection-pump in the cold-start advance gizmo area ??

Although they may not have worked in your application, I have a set of those Harbor Freight extensions that the square-drive ends are designed to allow the socket to wobble such that the extension can come at the socket at quite a bit of angle; they have saved my day many times and have allowed me to use a ratchet on things that otherwise would have required skinned knuckles and a 12-point wrench, such as the starter-bolts.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

I am assuming it goes on the injection-pump in the cold-start advance gizmo area ??
The timing spacer does 2 things. First, it allows more travel by spacing off the blocking plate (with ksb) and allowing further travel. Second, it takes some pre load off of the timing spring and thus allowing a faster timing advance.

With it you can get the timing advance you would normally get by moving the pump toward the head, but keep the slower idle timing, thus getting your spray in the bucket and eliminating idle haze.

I've heard it works pretty good. I have the baggie and have not had the time.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM

So this spacer goes on the KSB cover-plate that is hidden between the pump and engine, right ??

If so, I don't see how on earth one would get it in there without pulling the pump.

Is this a pre-91 or post-91 thing, as the KSB functions differently between the two ??

My understanding is on the pre-91, the cold-idle-advance is always ON and the wax-pellet stays heated to turn it OFF; the post-91 is the opposite.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
So this spacer goes on the KSB cover-plate that is hidden between the pump and engine, right ??

If so, I don't see how on earth one would get it in there without pulling the pump.

Is this a pre-91 or post-91 thing, as the KSB functions differently between the two ??

My understanding is on the pre-91, the cold-idle-advance is always ON and the wax-pellet stays heated to turn it OFF; the post-91 is the opposite.
Actually, it'll go on any VE pump, even ones that don't have a KSB, as they have a plate that covers the timing mechanism that this modifies.
And it is not between the pump and the engine, but is reachable, though barely, when the pump is on the engine.

Beat bet is to pull the pump and install the 3200 spring and this timing adapter at the same time. The combination is great.

M&H Dynamic Timing Advance
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM

THANKS j martin.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Hey Arnold,

Is this the kit ?

Just ordered it and I'll let you know how it works out...

T.
Attached Thumbnails Finally, 8 months later and the M&H KSB spacer is on!-71a-wa4ky3l._sl1500_.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Hey Arnold,

Is this the kit ?

Just ordered it and I'll let you know how it works out...

T.
That be it! I know you know. Replying so everyone else knows
Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts

Although they may not have worked in your application, I have a set of those Harbor Freight extensions that the square-drive ends are designed to allow the socket to wobble such that the extension can come at the socket at quite a bit of angle; they have saved my day many times and have allowed me to use a ratchet on things that otherwise would have required skinned knuckles and a 12-point wrench, such as the starter-bolts.
X10 on the wobble extensions! They've saved my bacon (and knuckles) many many times. I only carry wobble extensions in my junkyard tool bag now. I have a set of K&D (i think) extensions that recess the socket when you push on it and allow it to stay straight. They are also aggressively knurled on the ratchet end. This comes in handy all the time. I use wobbles very frequently.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
The timing spacer does 2 things. First, it allows more travel by spacing off the blocking plate (with ksb) and allowing further travel. Second, it takes some pre load off of the timing spring and thus allowing a faster timing advance.

With it you can get the timing advance you would normally get by moving the pump toward the head, but keep the slower idle timing, thus getting your spray in the bucket and eliminating idle haze.

I've heard it works pretty good. I have the baggie and have not had the time.
When I did my second one it took me about three minutes with the engine being hot.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Well took the truck to work yesterday on my 45 mile one way commute on the freeway. The goal was to test out 3 things, in this order of importance- 1. My new rear brakes 2. Recheck of a seal replacement at the rear hub 3. The M&H spacer mod. The brakes work awsome w/ the 1 ton shoes, cylinders, and RWAL valve bypass! The seal is leak free tight. The spacer mod, well it did not clear up my idle haze much at all which was what I was hoping for, but, I gotta say I almost lost it at a freeway on ramp cause the foot pedal required that I'm used to around this curved on ramp is not required anymore cause I was going too fast! I can go 70 mph cruising speed with less pedal effort, and when I punch that thing I feel the difference. Been awhile since I did performance mods, so I know there's a difference in power. Idle is different, too, in a positive way. Sounds like I gave the truck a shot of testosterone. Funny thing is, my tach doesn't show an idle increase, which is good I guess. So glad I finally was able to install this mod, but it took me an hour, not 15 minutes holy crud! That's fast! Now, gotta say, I'm staring at that propane fumigation switch. I'm sceeered to flip it on! With this increase in timing from the spacer mod, I was told early on that propane naturally increases timing which is why I never bothered to bump the injector pump towards the head. M&H says I should be fine, but I'm sceeered!! I finally fixed all the loose ends in the engine compartment like leaking freeze plugs, A/C compressor, etc. and the thought of a head gasket failure would bum me out at this point in time. Oh well you play you pay I guess, Hah! Anyway, if you haven't rounded up the $$ to do the spacer mod, save your pennies cause this is one of those equal to the 366 spring, fuel pin, star wheel, etc. meaning, your going to like it.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Approximately how many pennies ??

When I looked at the site it said "call for pricing" or somesuch.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
100 bucks or so if i recall correctly.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
100 bucks or so if i recall correctly.

Thank you, sir; I was afraid it would be above my meager means.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
This mod isn't as important at high altitude, but I have been tempted to do it anyway for years since my pump is against the head.

Quick Reply: Finally, 8 months later and the M&H KSB spacer is on!