1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Figured i'd share my grid heater trick

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figured i'd share my grid heater trick

I do not want my grid heaters cycling once the truck is started, mostly since my commute to work was about 3 miles, (though i don't work there anymore, and my new cummute is going to be about 30 miles each way). I put my grids on a switch that i can manually turn on and off from the cab. I tapped two wires, one on each solenoid, the ones with the little black nipples that push on and off. I cut each wire, added an extention from each wire into the cab, and tied them into a switch. when the switch is on, it connects the circut back into the wire where it was cut.
This way i can turn the grids on before i start the truck, but once it starts, i can shut them off and they won't come back on till i let them. So far, it works great, and seems to save alot of wear on my single wal-mart battery.
Just thought i'd share this with everyone, as it might be an idea for someone else to try.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good idea. I'm thinking about putting my on an oil pressure switch. When the engine gets oil pressure it shuts the grid heaters off. Pretty slick and I don't have to remember anything. When you get to be my age thats a good thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Why worry about the grid heaters? They cycle on and off when it is cold and then they stay off when the engine warms up. The lights dim a little but only for a few seconds and then they brighten up for a lot more. It is all over in about five minutes of soft driving. Why not let them do their thing and not worry about it? I may sound a little harsh but that isn't my intention. I really do not understand the aggrevation with the heaters.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 PM

i agree with boatnik i am not really sure of any advantages of turing them off when it is running. i say just let them do what they do.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I see your point. It's just a tinkering / theory thing. Cycling on and off when they are not needed puts a strain on the charging system, ECM, alternator, batteries, grid heaters, relays, ect. It's a tinkering thing is all, but both of you are right. It will work just to leave them alone.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
I see your point. It's just a tinkering / theory thing. Cycling on and off when they are not needed puts a strain on the charging system, ECM, alternator, batteries, grid heaters, relays, ect. It's a tinkering thing is all, but both of you are right. It will work just to leave them alone.

Exactly, since i had such a short commute, i did not want these things cycling on and off for the few minutes that i was driving. after a while, my battery would have been dead b/c it had no chance to charge. Once the truck is running, why strain the charging system, etc with these huge electrical draws. i could care less if the truck smokes all over the place, which it actually does not. if i had a lengthy commute, i might consider letting them run, but i still don't see a point once the truck is running running.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:53 AM

They shut off at 20mph or so. You don't need to shut them off to keep the battery from dying if are driving a mile or more above 25mph.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2005, 08:28 AM

speed limit in town is 25mph, but with the horrible traffic on main street, the actual speed is about 15, truck usually does not shift out of 2nd
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by tbone
They shut off at 20mph or so. You don't need to shut them off to keep the battery from dying if are driving a mile or more above 25mph.
I have had them come on at the corner about a mile from my house. So I can see why someone would want to keep them off on a short trip.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone
The 1st gen setup is not that sophisticated. Mine kick in at 55 mph.

I can see the possible benefits to disabling the grids, but I don't think a cut-out switch is needed except in some weird special circumstances like Holstienman's. If it's really cold out and I'm not plugged in, I just hit the key instead of waiting for the WTS light. The grids drop out when the key is in the "start" position. I figure the battery has a better chance of spinning the motor fast enough to start it before the grids drag it down for 15-20 seconds at 100 amps or so.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 AM

I want my grids to shut off because on those rainy or snowy cold mornings, with the headlights on, the wipers, and the defroster, I think of the wiper motor burning up from lack of voltage when the grids go on.
That's my reason for wanting to shut them off once the beast has been fired up.
Also they went on a few times at 45 on the expressway the other day and I really needed the headlights.
I tried simply running the wires thru an oil P switch, but the WTS light just keept blinking...gotta spend some time looking at that.
Jay
Old 12-11-2005, 06:12 AM

just change jobs or move farther away from job so you can drive faster
Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Beamwalker
just change jobs or move farther away from job so you can drive faster

I did!!, i start a new job a week from monday, which is about 40 miles from my house down in Albany, NY. I graduate college on friday, and start work on monday
Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The 1st gen setup is not that sophisticated. Mine kick in at 55 mph.
I didn't ralize that they kicked off at a speed. I have noticed mine still cycling when I get on the interstate 4 miles from the house. Last night it cycled for 8 miles coming from where I was running dogs to the house. The roads were slick, so my speed was probably around 30 mph.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EClancy
speed limit in town is 25mph, but with the horrible traffic on main street, the actual speed is about 15, truck usually does not shift out of 2nd
Congrads on your new job. I hope it suits you. I have been in this one for 32 years. One of these days I will consider making it a career.
In the situation you discribed I can see the need for closer control of the grid heaters. I drive 18 miles oneway and only drive the truck once a week to keep it exercised. I normally drive my '95 camry. It is paid for, it is no trouble, and it hovers around 28 to 30 mpg depending on a/c load and how fast I want to get home. I may never get a speeding ticket going to work. IF I had a long term employment that close to home, I would see about a much larger altenator to handle the heaters, like those on ambulances. EMS vehicles pull a lot more power at than just a couple of little grid heaters.