1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A few driveline quetions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few driveline quetions

I am trying to track down what is causing the poor steering and vibrations that is occurring while driving. Everything in the front end is tight. Just replaced both tie rods ends and draglink. All the kingpins are also tight. The only thing i noticed which seemed odd to me was the play in the video below. Is it normal? if not what might be the cause?

Also, i have a pretty nasty high pitch noise coming from the rear of the truck. I had both drums off and check the shoes and wheel bearings. They all seemed fine. there is no noticeable play in the u-joints observed when grabbing the drive shaft and pushing/pulling. It first started out in reverse but it does not always do it and only noticeable at low speeds. It sure sounds like brakes but there is plenty of shoe lining left. i replaced them last summer.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Yhea that is normal in the front drive shaft. as long as the hub's weren't engaged. Have you looked at the spring bushing I let bushing and also the rear shackel mounts, where they are rivited to the frame. Also heard of the front cross member causing steerin problems?
While the drums were off did you sand down the shoes a little. If there is a little bit of dirt or a small peice of metal from the shoes then it'll make a squeak.
good luck
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it did it with the hubs both engaged and not engaged. The hubs functioned and locked the axle shaft to the wheel. it would not spin when engaged. The front spring bushings look pretty bad there are little pieces of rubber coming out from them. I was hoping to get a torch before i replace them.

what front cross member are you talking about? where the motor mounts mount to?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Yhea, I just read over what I wrote. They will move with or with out the hubs engaged, sorry to get you worried.
And thats the crossmember that I have read about. I don't know how it will cause any probelms. But I've read it before, maybe letting the frame twist more than usale? IDK.
I'm going to say that the bushing will be most of your problem if not all of it.