1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fan Clutch Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Clutch Bearing

Hey guys, I need your help again. I replaced the fan clutch on the truck the other day and decided to inspect the bearing while it was off. The bearing doesnt have any play but it makes a little noise and is now starting to become audible on the truck on first start up. My local cummins dealer wont even talk to me they wouldnt help my on the lift pump and they wouldnt help me with the fan clutch bearing. I gave em the ntn number and all they said was "Yep thats our number" click They were the same way with the pump I cant believe they stay in business... Ok Im done. Question is I found a great guy to deal with at a local Komatsu dealer and I was wondering if someone had the cross over number so I can give it to him. I have searched here and found info but no number. He found me the low psi piston lift pump for $175 bucks where cummins told me $250 no longer available. Thanks guys in advance you guys are so helpful I wish I had the money I'd buy you all a beer or a soda (which ever you prefer) PS Will have the pump next week and hope to install that, rebuild the tranny and please dont kill me for not doing it yet the KDP while I have a slot in my home garage between my uncles projects.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I just bought a fan bearing last month for my truck, this is from
Cummins Cal Pacific in Irvine California

#3910739 Fan Bearing $140.89
And they had them in stock. I checked my local Dodge dealer and they wanted over $200.00 for the same bearing.

I gave the bearing number to my local Bearings and Drive shop and they said it is a proprietary bearing.

Mine only had a little play and no noise, I got home and stopped the engine and then came out 20 minuets later and started the truck to leave and the fan was locked up solid, and the engine just melted off my 1 month old $50.00 belt.

At least it happened in my driveway.

I was going to buy all of these and hoard them but I really only need one spare so I will let you know about them.

Just ask that you leave me at least one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

It was easy to replace, I used a socket and pressed it out using my vice and then I drove the new one back in the vise and then I had to seat it with a socket and a sledge on a block of steel.

Jim
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Jim thank you so much, and yes I will leave you a spare lol I think I will buy one for the truck and then one back up. Again, thank you so much!!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
#3910739 Fan Bearing $140.89

Just ask that you leave me at least one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Jim

This IS ?? the bearing that is in that gizmo that the threaded fan stub sticks out of, right ?? held to the block with four bolts, right ??

I/C or non-I/C, they are all the same, right ??

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That is what it is. As far as I know the bearing itself is the same although the support castings are slightly different.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Jim Lane you are my Hero! Thank You for all of your contributions here...
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Before I made payment arrangements, I also looked at what else the seller had and I just became the proud owner of this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoeltge-Mice-rat...3A1%7C294%3A30

I had looked high and low for one just like it; one never knows just where the next bargain is going to be.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Hey guys do you think some pictures would help?

The Fan Bearing in the bottom box, the top one is the Crankshaft Seal.

Name:  IMG_9323.jpg
Views: 4902
Size:  83.5 KB

The new bearing ready to install the hub.

Name:  IMG_9327.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  96.2 KB

Here is the Fan Hub, it went out on a Saturday Afternoon and I could not get the bearing until Monday Morning from Cummins Cal Pacific in Irvine, Ca.

Name:  IMG_9343.jpg
Views: 4995
Size:  67.8 KB

I was able to press the hub into the bearing almost all of the way using the vise and some muscle.

Name:  IMG_9351.jpg
Views: 5497
Size:  74.7 KB

Before I could install the hub I had to install the bearing into the housing, I tried to press it in with the vise but I was only able to get in about half way so I supported the base open side down on a block of steel and then using the big socket on the bearing I pushed it in using an 8 pound sledge hammer, it did go in fairly easy didn’t really have to hit it hard.

After the hub was seated all I needed to do was to install the bolt and tighten it with my impact wrench.

Name:  IMG_9357.jpg
Views: 5386
Size:  77.3 KB

After I had all of the parts it only took about 20 minuets to reinstall the bearing and have it ready to reinstall on the truck.

But of course I had to stop to take the pictures.

Jim
Old 07-12-2009, 06:50 AM

hub bearing

"You have to go to a bearing house that handles NTN bearings. I got mine for $41.00. The bearing # is DF0766LLUACS32 and is available through any authorized NTN distributor
Good luck, i filed this part # several years ago havent needed to try it. mite be worth looking into.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Upon examining Jim's nice ---very nice--- pictures, it became apparent to me that if one were wishing to install an electric fan, and that big threaded "stub" were right in the middle of progress, one could simply saw the stub flush with the flange and the bearing/pulley,etc. still behave as always, with no need to regroup and use weird belts, etc.

Of course, I would recommend one use a spare fan hub from a junker engine, instead of butchering the only one they had.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There is a 6BT powered Dakota in my area with a setup just like that - even has countersunk allen head bolts holding the pulley to the hub for more clearance.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
There is a 6BT powered Dakota in my area with a setup just like that - even has countersunk allen head bolts holding the pulley to the hub for more clearance.
I KNEW THAT COULD BE DONE!!!!!! And everyone said I was crazy
Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awright BK, now I have to ask: What in tarnation are you doing with a 60-bed rat motel?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jughead
"You have to go to a bearing house that handles NTN bearings. I got mine for $41.00. The bearing # is DF0766LLUACS32 and is available through any authorized NTN distributor
Good luck, i filed this part # several years ago havent needed to try it. mite be worth looking into.
X2, thats what I did and it is working fine, no sense in paying all the mark ups the big companies charge!!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Before I made payment arrangements, I also looked at what else the seller had and I just became the proud owner of this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoeltge-Mice-rat...3A1%7C294%3A30

I had looked high and low for one just like it; one never knows just where the next bargain is going to be.
Dude, what kinda torque numbers you running with that upgrade??

Or you now have 60 ways to help jump start a honda!!!

Quick Reply: Fan Clutch Bearing