1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Exploding O-Ring!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I'm fixing to make a huge post but please bear with me because if I can get some good responses then it will help me understand everything so much more.

After everything was cleaned up today,me and my dad talked about everything and he has worked on this truck while I wasn't around. He put a new oil filter base(pictured below) on the motor but used the OLD pressure valve and spring in the new base.

Ok so I pulled the 19mm bolt out to take out the valve,get the bolt off,spring pops out and the spring is fine not broke or anything(pictured below). Reach my finger inside and the valve is all the way down but with a slight pull from my finger it slid right out and did not seem to be sticking hard. Then I looked the valve over really well and noticed that on two small spots on it it has seemed to have rubbed against something because the metal was real good and shiny and felt just very slighty wore.

This is the picture of the spring that is in good shape

This is a picture of the valve with the arrow showing the wore spots

This is the other side of the valve that shows no signs of wear
Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Ok this is with the other post.

After I looked at the valve we pulled the base off of the motor and the base was fine of course. I turned it over and stuck the pressure valve back inside the hole and moved it to see if I could feel it sticking or hanging on anything.

Right where the arrow is pointing when moving the valve it seemed like it was just VERY lightly rubbing.

Then moving the valve just a little further down in I felt it rubbing the wall of the base just a hair not sticking really bad but could tell that it was very slightly rubbing. I know it's not the base because the base is brand new,valve and spring are NOT

Then we pulled the oil/water cooler out of the motor to see about it and see how it looked.

On the surface where the arrow is pointing it had a slight oily slime on it and that side is inside the water jacket so that would mean that SOMEHOW the cooler is leaking correct?

This is the side of the cooler,nothing looked bad or cracked from what I can see but this is all I can figure is allowing the oil to get in the water,am I correct in my thinkings?

Ok with all the pictures and info what I'm looking for now is just a reasurrance that I'm correct in my thinkings. What I say is that the old valve with the slight wore places pictured in the first post was sticking while the motor was running and that allowed the oil PSI to sky rocket causing it to crack the old oil filter base the very first time and now causing the huge mess with it blowing the o-ring off the oil filter. So that happened and when the PSI built up it cracked the oil/water cooler somewhere and allowed the oil to run into the water. Would yall agree from all the info and pictures or different ideas? I want all the feedback I can get because I don't want this happening again!!

What I say will need to done is buy a new oil/water cooler and install it then put the oil filter base back on and put a new valve and spring in. Would you agree?

Then I would say buy a mechanical oil PSI gauge and install the probe in THIS(where the arrow is pointing in the picture)
place where the plug is now and watch the PSI real close. I believe with the new base,new valve,new spring,new oil/water cooler and new oil and filter that we shouldn't have anymore problems. If we did then with the mechanical gauge we would be able to see the PSI jump up and able ready and able to kill the motor before anything happened.

Sorry for two huge long post but I want to put all the info on the table so I can get the very best and most helpful feedback possible so I can rest knowing there shouldn't be anything else causing these problems and that it should all be ok and fine and dandy for a long time to come!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My Cummins books say that if you can pull the valve out with your finger it is OK. I'm with you, though - I'd like it to move smoothly. It was probably worn in nice and very happy in the old filter mount, the new filter mount has no wear and that's why it sticks. You could lap it in with valve lapping compound.

Pressure test the oil cooler with compressed air and a bucket. If it bubbles you have a problem. A bad gaskket between the filter mount and the block can also cause oil in the water.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 PM

the only thing that i can add is that when my oil/coolant cooler, fill the radiator up with oil, i couldn't get it to leak! but replace it with a new one and haven't had any more problems with it!

when testing it maybe using hot water, will help the cause the expansion of the cooler!!