1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Exploding O-Ring!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploding O-Ring!!

What in the world do you think would cause the o-ring on top of the oil filter to pop?! On a 92 D350 I've just got the truck running again after a few years. Had to put the oil filter base on it so I left the old oil that was still in good shape in it and put a new Baldwin filter on to just get it fired up. It was a little low on oil but I was letting it sit and run and it was doing fine. Just a little noise in the top of the motor cause it hasn't ran in so long. Then I reached in and just barely touched the throttle to see how it would do and BOOM and oil went everywhere. I sallowed my stomach and killed the motor! Looked out and oil is all OVER my dang shop,on the ceiling,all OVER the floor,on the walls,on the pictures and such hanging on the walls and all over the fresh paint The *(%#$*)%*%(*)% o-ring seal on that brand new filter either slide or something because it blowed and sent oil everywhere. Now I'm on my way back to town for the 2nd time to get 3 gals of oil and a new filter and try this crap again..This makes me so sick. I even had a date tonight,guess I'm not going to make it. (rant off)
Old 10-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Did you make sure the seal came off with the old filter? Sound like it got a double-gasket. Good thing you were only idleing.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
Did you make sure the seal came off with the old filter? Sound like it got a double-gasket. Good thing you were only idleing.
that's exactly what it sounds like...

it's a lesson you only have to learn once...I did it on a 5.9L gas motor...dumped 6qts about as fast as you could realized you heard liquid and turned the key off...

Greg
Old 10-14-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you left old ring on the block, it will blow off, and as youve found out, its not pretty.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Ya don't wary, we have all dun it once!

just wipe the gasket surfice every time you change the filter and you can catch it before the new filter is installed!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Oh, yeah, you'll probably find the O-ring for the new filter to still be intact, just take the old one off and reinstall, shouldn't have hurt anything.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM

Well guys it's not even pretty at all now. No it was not double gasketed. We just had got this motor back together. When we bought it,the oil filter BASE itself the huge thing that bolts onto the side of the block was CRACKED and spraying oil. We put a new base and all that on it and have been working on the paint and body for quite awhile and finally got it mostly put back together and ready for paint.

Well I fixed the stater relay I was having problems with today and got it to fire off. Then it done this,it only had one gasket and when I took the filter off I noticed that the dang thing looked like the bottom of it was swelled. Enough to crack the paint on the filter!

So I started thinking ok it's got to have some off the scale pressure to crack that base and now this filter..so something is WRONG!! Started calling people and getting opinions. I think we've all about come to the conclusion that either some kinda pressure release valve is STUCK(where the valve would be I don't have a Clue..do any of yall) or the head gasket is blowed. When we took everything apart it looked like a small amount of oil in the water in the radiator. With just pure water in the radiator now I checked the water..and it feels somewhat slimey..*starts to cry* I think it has a blowed head gasket or something even worse. I'd like to have opinions of what others think on here! It's my dad's truck not even mine but now I have to tell him the bad news that I think all the frontend we have JUST put on is going to have to come off and we're going to have to pull the head to see what is wrong This makes me really want to cry now...
Old 10-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The pressure regulator cover is the thing that looks like a bolt head sticking up out of the front of the filter head. Pull it off, remove the spring, and reach down in there with your finger to try to pull the valve out. If you can't, then the valve is stuck. I bet that's your problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 PM

I sec it, and you need to make shore the pressure problem is fix before............sorry more bad news!!!!

If you had enough pressure to swell the filter then the oil/ anti-freese cooler is busted allso and will need to be replaced!

to add insult to injury Your going to have to add liquid tide to the coolings system and flush and flush and.........

sorry you need to dill with the hi pressure probem first or it will just burst again!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 PM

I took a quick picture,are you talking bout what the red arrow is pointing at. If so do you have any clue what size that is,and if the valve is stuck..what is involved to get it unstuck and what can be done to keep it from sticking again lol
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Yes that is it! i don't remember the that tube being in the way.......so just when and look a mine. look just like you pitcher!

I remove that bolt and replace the spring in it, trying get my gauge to show oil pressure when idling. replace sender and pressure gauge worked as designed!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That's the right part.

I'd try spraying some penetrating lube like PB Blaster or Kroil down the bore if it's stuck. You should be able to just stick your finger in the valve and lift it out, if not it is stuck. I don't know the size of the plug.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 PM

Dave I thank you a ton. I'll start working on it tomorrow morning,I have just got the shop cleaned up. Had to pressure wash off the truck and all the crap in the shop. Going to let it all dry and tomorrow get after it and see if I can figure it all out.

flashgordan when you said I'd have to replace the oil/water cooler what are you talking about. Where is it located etc etc. Sorry for so many dumb questions but I know just the basics and this is my first rodeo on taking it apart. I know for certain that once we get it fixed the next "let see if itll start" session will be done OUTSIDE!! lol I know there is oil or some filmy,slimey substance in the radiator so it would be in all the cooling system I'm guessing. Would that be the cooler busted and allowing the two oil and water to mix? Well this outta be a blast. Do you think that it could've blowed a head gasket with all this going on?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 PM

Hmmm well the filter housing bolt to or thru it to the block.

when the oil pressure is fixed,.............. Hmm well if you can't get the pressure regulator piston to move freely then you will have to remove that housing and the oil to water cooler will fall out when all the bolts are out!

Make sure that you have big drain pan ready because there will be a big cavity open up!
with it out not only will you be able to see the #2 cylinder but the opening will be big enough that you could put both hands on the cylinder wall.

I'm talking about the coolant side of the cylinder wall of course.

I'm sorry to say but the oil mess in the coolant is not going to be fun at all!
I just got thru doing this mess last spring and my coolant bottle filled up with oil and ran on the ground or i probably wouldn't have Even noticed the problem!

One tip when you have got the coolant or oil flushed out oft the coolant passages as best you can.Rember hot water is you friend when it comes to oil mix with water,and liquid tide!)
Oil float on water sooo..........your coolant bottle will be were all the oil film will go as you drive!
once a day us some sort of sucker like a wet and dry vac and suck the top layer of oil off from it and top off you over flow bottle!
after a week you can do it once a week and so on until you finally get it! O and plan on hoses getting soft and leaking!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Dang, sorry it turned out so bad...

Quick Reply: Exploding O-Ring!!