1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

exhaust...questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up exhaust...questions

how hard would it be to buy the 4inch downpipe from stans, and custom fab. the rest, is there really that many bends, does anyone have any advice or tips? another question is say i buy a 4inch system from jerry jardine, and stans downpipe, could i make them fit toagther?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I immagine 2 manufacturers combined (one DP, one after DP system) should work fine, they all have to bend n move around the same things. On a 4 wheel drive, there is something about the transfer case so it does require a slight bend, I would get the DP, fit it in, then go from there. I wouldnt do any cuttin of the old system untill u can deffinatly put it all together. U could Fab your own system and use some 4" flex pipe for the curve around the t-case.
I lucked out, I customs fabed everything but the DP on mine, being 2 wheel, and a getrag I didnt have anything to contend with.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Ace
Banned

4" past the TC is really tight. I used a long bi-metal blade and the sawzall to take a 1/4" off that top edge of the TC housing to make a wee bit more clearance and wrapped it with duct tape to keep the flex pipe from rattling.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I used Rip's DP and US Diesel's system behind the DP. It's tight going through the cross members at the tranny and the transfer case. Lots of small bends. Rip's DP will require some fabrication and if you are doing an automatic tranny truck it will require cutting on the cooler bracket. You can use the old pipe hanger at the bell housing.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM

When I contacted Jerry Jardine, I was told their system had a down pipe. Why would you mix n match components?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

If Jardine's has a true 4" DP, then I see no reason to mix-n-match. But if it is only a 3 or 3.5" then I see the need for some to do some hybridizing.

I made my own 4" DP back system on my 91. Only thing I'd do different is to make sure I had aluminized pipe instead of cold rolled steel pipe (WHY do they even sell that stuff for exhaust?). I had about 3ft of stainless flex pipe that I used for the rise past the transmission. Then it was some straight, 2-45s and a 90 for the tail, and I was done.

Daniel
Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Ace
Banned

I used a straight section of some really heavy stuff that was supposedly the stack for some kind of Cat engine. Found it on eBay.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgerDoob
When I contacted Jerry Jardine, I was told their system had a down pipe. Why would you mix n match components?
Simple, When I bought the US Diesel exhaust, either the 4inch d/p wasn't available or I just didn't know it would fit. Either way I bought the cart first, then the horse.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM

jerry jardine has a 3.5 in downpipe, which isint bad, but it isint the best, and im striving for the best always, i just want a good 'ole exhaust 4inch all the way from turbo to end tip, i really dont want to cut bang or weld anything. ill proab just endup w/ the complete jerry jardine system, its good and cheap, im only sacraficing a 1/2 inch??!!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 93beater
jerry jardine has a 3.5 in downpipe, which isint bad, but it isint the best, and im striving for the best always, i just want a good 'ole exhaust 4inch all the way from turbo to end tip, i really dont want to cut bang or weld anything. ill proab just endup w/ the complete jerry jardine system, its good and cheap, im only sacraficing a 1/2 inch??!!
I'm impressed with the price and product, but the catch is the waiting time for the item to be shipped.
I asked how long it would take to be shipped out to me after paying up front on the phone and the estimate could be up to 10 days, then there is the time it takes for ups to ship it.

My deadline is to have my exhaust project completed before opening trout season at the end of April for my long trailer haul up to lassen.

The sales person couldn’t guarantee the exhaust to my house a week before the last Saturday of April.... Lets see,,, that’s about a month of waiting... Too long for me at this point because I haven’t much time, and the flee-Market sales last weekend gave me the funds.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 PM

I just called my order in today from stans and they said it will be here in three days. Its 4" from the turbo and they said there is no cutting or mods it will go right in but we'll see if that happens....
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bggrndodge
I just called my order in today from stans and they said it will be here in three days. Its 4" from the turbo and they said there is no cutting or mods it will go right in but we'll see if that happens....
Same here, they have got to be loving it. Good Trade.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM

That 4" system sounds interesting. any idea how much power difference?
my truck is bone stock with oem style muffler.

tks,
rjm
Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM

its power increase is ok, but the main reason for exhaust is to save your turbo form exploding under super high egt's, sounds good 2
Old 03-23-2007, 01:15 PM

You will see a little extra torque, and a few ponies, just for the sheer fact the engine can breath a lbetter, and now the intake air is going to cool down a little bit, because of the EGT's cooling down, making the turbo run cooler. A 4" DP is a huge plus in everyway shape and form.

Quick Reply: exhaust...questions