1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust question

Well it's time for new exhaust on my truck. I figured while I'm at it I'd go with 4" straight pipe. Seems to be popular with our trucks, plus I think my truck is just as cool as the new ones, so it might as well sound just as cool. I ordered a 4" downpipe, and figured my exhaust shop could handle the rest. He told me the other day he can't bend 4" pipe, and that he'd have to order a kit, and that I could probably save money by doing it myself. Now I'm having trouble finding a "downpipe back" exhaust for my truck. Any hints or advice? Thanks guys
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Many here are using the diamond eye kit, I think they offer it without the down pipe .
Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to do it in stainless, you can order the fittings (90's and 45's and flanges) miter cut them as needed to make the tight bend and then go from there, and if you can TIG weld decently and have acess to a good straight cutting band saw or George Fischer saw, you can build an awesome stainless system.
I used 4" from the turbo back to the bed and then used a 4" to 6" Tee to run into my stacks.
Just depends on how much work you want to put into it I guess and what you want the finished product to be.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM

I pulled my 4BT out of a Grumann/Chevy P-30 stepvan. When I yanked the van's 4" exhaust system I found they used a section of really nice 4" stainless flex pipe. I included it in mine just after the downpipe. Reason being our diesels can have a whole lot of shakin' goin' on and the flex pipe prevents damage to exhaust at shutdown etc.

Just something for you to consider on yours. Works for me, no leaks in 6 years. Allowed me to hang the rest of pipe with really solid hangers & brackets instead of rubber stuff.

By the way, when I cut light gauge tubing I use a tin can with both ends cut out, slit open down one side, to wrap around pipe at cut line. Using a Sharpie I have a perfectly straight line instead of wandering off at an angle. In most cases if using a hack saw I just clamp the tin can in place as a cutting guide and cut along the end of it, works great!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM

http://www.tvdiesel.com/exhaustsyste...onents-18.aspx
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Sorry that link is all turbo back systems. I would send the DP you ordered back and order the kit from that link. I ordered mine from there and only had to cut and weld one piece to make her work all hangers hardware etc. included. cant wait to fire it up and listen to that kitty purr.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 92.W350
Sorry that link is all turbo back systems. I would send the DP you ordered back and order the kit from that link. I ordered mine from there and only had to cut and weld one piece to make her work all hangers hardware etc. included. cant wait to fire it up and listen to that kitty purr.
That's pretty much what I came up with. I can't believe how many companies offer a downpipe alone, and nobody offers a downpipe back kit. Not for our trucks anyway. Thanks for the input guys, appreciated as always.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM

I thought diamond eye had an option for the system without the downpipe but I was mistake, it was with or without the muffler. They do sell the individual components but by the time you buy each of the needed pieces then it adds up to more that what the complete kit costs. the tail pipe is two pieces at $50 and $60 then the intermediate is another $50ish for each piece there but could probably be replaced with a short section of flex and some straight pipe back to the tail sections. google "diamond eye 93" then sort by price low to high and the individual sections will pop up.

I got my tail pipe with a shiny tip on it from the local diesel shop, its was the stock pipe that was removed when they installed a new aftermarket system and they where scraping it. Got it for free and its full 4" with smooth mandrel bends.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have purchased a few systems from diesel performance system .com before. 3" downpipe end 4" rest of exhaust. Great fit around transfer case.