1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

even with a lead foot,very pleased with my mpg's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
even with a lead foot,very pleased with my mpg's

Maybe my scenario might not be a big deal, but I'd like to share with you all anyway...maybe spur up more ideas to make the best of todays pump prices.
After tweaking here and tweaking there, adding this and adding that(see sig), I finally got my mpg figures to go from the 17.6(the last 3 years) calcs to a recent calc of 20.78 two times in a row. Mind you, my type of driving didn't change: freeway commute daily of 1 hour each way, I still punch it WOT here from time to time (especially since the latest addition of the 3200 G-Spring and introducing propane fumigation at 5 lbs. boost versus 8 lbs.- very fun!!), and finally, because I have a turbo timer installed, I still let it idle for 6 minutes at the ends of my commute. I actually thought with the additions of go fast goodies one would actually lose in the MPG race, but things are leanin' to the positive side for me. Anyway, thought I'd share. Carmyne
Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
bigragu,

How did the propane injection effect your EGT's?

Any notable changes with overall performance?

Can you help me better understand how a tank and a handful of hardware cost what some vendors want?

While I've not dug too deep into it (please pardon my ignorance), I'm thinking a propane system can be had for much less. A tank, perhaps a vaporizer/regulator, nozzle and associated plumbing.

Congrats on the mpg improvements.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
My egt's are never a problem. I really have to work at getting it over 1000 degrees.
Performance results from propane is definately there. The 3200 Gspring change over really enhanced the propane's performance.
I know the costs for just the kits alone are crazy, and usually the costs do not even include the tank! I got lucky. This ATS kit cost me what the 8 gallon propane tank alone would cost, and I paid that for the entire system. It was a used kit that came off of a Duramax. If I had to do it again, buying used is the way to go. Hop on all the Diesel web sites and target the classifieds. I always tend to see a kit or two in there for around 3-500 bucks with the tank.
Home made versions? Yeah, you could go this route, but there is too much to remember to do to maintain safety measures and to be honest, when messin' with propane, you want something that was designed for diesel applications, not a bunch of rigged parts from your local Ace Hardware! All the aftermarket engineered kits have safety factors built in. The key word here is "engineered", which is the reasons for the high cost for a brand new kit.
With only so much you can do to our trucks in terms of performance, I truly am surprised there aren't too many 1st Genners applying propane to their rigs. Oh well, if the propane bug ever gets going here one day, I guess I could be the WANNADIESEL authority on this subject!!