1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Engine will not fire after Inj Pump rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the trouble still is haunting me...

NO Truck for me..

We are gonna try one last thing tonight and if that does not work the truck will sit for the next 3 weeks while I am on my honeymoon

But if it starts I am gonna be ticked.. cause what I am trying is so backwards I never even thought to try it until now
Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 PM

I just read this whole thread and I was wondering if you are not sucking air from some were and causing it to become air locked again after bleeding . What I am asking is are you getting any more air when you rebleed the injectors . I worked for two days on my 91 and it was sucking air way back at the tank . I took a tank put it up on the roof and ran a line to the pump and the thing started right up . You had all the lines off the pump I would double check them and like I said before crack the injector line and make sure it is nothing but fuel coming out . Any air at all would signal a problem in my book after all the cranking you have done by now .
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by John Halter
I just read this whole thread and I was wondering if you are not sucking air from some were and causing it to become air locked again after bleeding . What I am asking is are you getting any more air when you rebleed the injectors . I worked for two days on my 91 and it was sucking air way back at the tank . I took a tank put it up on the roof and ran a line to the pump and the thing started right up . You had all the lines off the pump I would double check them and like I said before crack the injector line and make sure it is nothing but fuel coming out . Any air at all would signal a problem in my book after all the cranking you have done by now .
If what I try tonight does not work then I will check the lines and try that tank idea...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 AM

Well of course it did not work..

So I am gonna tow truck back to my house and when I get back in 3 weeks I wil start all over..
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by BRUISER
Well of course it did not work..

So I am gonna tow truck back to my house and when I get back in 3 weeks I wil start all over..

When some thing bite u that hard ,you got to start back at the bacic,some thing has been over look.
it happens to all of us at one time or a nether.......keep your head up.....you will get
Old 09-14-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
When some thing bite u that hard ,you got to start back at the bacic,some thing has been over look.
it happens to all of us at one time or a nether.......keep your head up.....you will get
Well the good news is a buddy e-mailed me and said he found instructions on how to set up and time a VE pump.. so I may try my hand
Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 PM

Well I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon www.jessandken.com and it is time to start on the Dodge again..

I found another local Deisel place and I am taking them the pump in the morning to bench test it and see if the pump does work or not??

I kinda hope the pump does not work and they find a problem cause if it does work then I have no idea what I am doing wrong...

Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
First off, congratulations on your new wife, looks like you got a keeper there. To answer one question, yes there is a shaft inside the pump that can be installed 180 degrees out. Don't even ask how I know. This may be a dumb question but is the forked washer installed under the pump stop bolt that you are removing to look inside the pump? IF not it will not start and may cause real damage to the pump. I installed one pump that the governor was stuck on and it would not start at all. I pulled the top and freed up the governor and it ran fine.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Well I got a call from the shop and they said when they tested it they found out that it wil not produce fuel above 200RPM. so they are gonn atake it apart and hopefully tomorrow I can get it back.. if there are no broken parts..
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 PM

YaY,!!!!!! Good to here that!

Hopefully it's smooth sailing this time...... RRR.... bleed,bleed RRR bleed and tighten RROOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
The sound of the starter this time!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM

I'd be interested to know what the shop does for you and what they charge for the job. Got a quote yesterday on bench setup of a VE at $100 but that's a pump with no known problems, just dialing it in. They're talking $400-$500 for a bench rebuild of the VE.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:24 PM

Well I got my Pump back from shop and we put it on this am.. and of coure it did nto go perfect. the pump went on great with no problems but when we tried to start it we found we had killed the starter, so we went and got another one.. then we got it fired up with no problems....BUT then the fuel solienoid started leaking

anyone changed out there fuel solienoid on the inj pump before???
Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Just unscrew it. It's sealed by an o-ring. Either the pump shop didn't tighten it or the o-ring is damaged.

It's easiest to remove if you drop the throttle linkage bracket and cut the excess off the top of the pump support. Then you can fit a big ol' wrench in there and take it out easily.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Just unscrew it. It's sealed by an o-ring. Either the pump shop didn't tighten it or the o-ring is damaged.

It's easiest to remove if you drop the throttle linkage bracket and cut the excess off the top of the pump support. Then you can fit a big ol' wrench in there and take it out easily.
Well I got the solenoid off and I got a new one today so if all goes well the truck may be on the road tonight
Old 11-02-2006, 07:09 AM

Well like this entire thread if it is not one thing it is another.

Got new solenoid in and the truck fired right up.. I was about to scream like a little cheerleader ............and then I saw it.. OH NO not again..... Yup just what I did not want to see.. another LEAK... arrgghhhh

what to do what to do..

Well I have been messing with this **** pump for way to many weeks so I loaded truck up and towed it down to the shop where they last built the pump.. I dropped it off and told them I am done it is your turn..

The pump has one leak left that is from a **** o-ring where you adjust low end throttle.. so I told him to fix it and call me when it is done..

the trategy continues so we will see.

Quick Reply: Engine will not fire after Inj Pump rebuild??