1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

emergency brake electrical gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question emergency brake electrical gremlins...

Hey guys I can't get my emergency brake light in the dash to go off. It is always on...no matter where the brake is. I thought it was a problem with the grounding switch on the brake assembly, but it is not. I have the pedal out and after studying the wiring the light in the dash always has positive feed but does not close the circuit until grounded at the pedal and apparently somewhere else. There are two ground wires leaving the light multi-pin plug one goes to the pedal and the other?? When I ground the wire at the pedal the light gets brighter. Has anyone else had this problem or have a wiring diagram handy to tell me where to look for what accessory or short has my light on constantly. I need help soon, I cant get the truck inspected because of this light and got a ticket today for not having a current inspection. PLEASE HELP! thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That light also goes to a vacuum switch under the hood on the brake booster line, doesn't it? That's the way it is on my '93 but they changed a lot of stuff between those years.

Have you thought about pulling the plug for the inspection?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:24 AM

It very well might... I will have to look this evening. I knew someone would know! thanks!!

I can't pull the plug for inspection, they look to make sure the indicator light comes on when the brake is set and goes off when it is not. But I could disconnect the light from the booster and that should fix my constant light problem and allow the indicator light to work. Thanks

I hope the sloppy steering and worn out ball joints amid many other front end problems will squeak by the inspector. I need some cash and TIME to fix those things. Thanks again
Old 12-17-2004, 08:45 AM

I also know that behind the Glove box there is a module that you can unplug for a few minutes. That mostly is for the Anti-Lock brake light but it wouldn't hurt to try since it is easy to get to.

Like Wanna says, vacuum swith located right behind the drivers hood spring. That is broken and the light will stay on. I have disconnected mine all together because it is dead but Dodge can not find the parts anymore. So I have none now, just plugged the hose going to it.

Anybody know where I can get one of those vacuum switches???