1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Electrical Gurus, Apply here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Gurus, Apply here!

Ok guys, I have a couple (thousand) things wrong with my wiring on my 92 W250 and am hoping you can help me with the one that bothers me most.

The thing is I'm pretty well convinced I have an excessive amount of wires hooked up to the Positive battery cable. As it is now I have 5 different wires on the Pos. terminal. Two of those being the leads to the intake air heaters. The wires run from the POS terminal, through the main wiring harness and then branch off on top of the drivers side fender to the "Black thing with 4 'Posts' on it" (Technical term) Does this sound right at all? It should be obvious that I know Richard about electrical issues, but should there be some sort of relays or something instead of just coming straight off the battery?

Any help is appreciated, part numbers would be great, You ordering the parts for me would be greater, and you installing said parts would be the greatest!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murf
Ok guys, I have a couple (thousand) things wrong with my wiring on my 92 W250 and am hoping you can help me with the one that bothers me most.

The thing is I'm pretty well convinced I have an excessive amount of wires hooked up to the Positive battery cable. As it is now I have 5 different wires on the Pos. terminal. Two of those being the leads to the intake air heaters. The wires run from the POS terminal, through the main wiring harness and then branch off on top of the drivers side fender to the "Black thing with 4 'Posts' on it" (Technical term) Does this sound right at all? It should be obvious that I know Richard about electrical issues, but should there be some sort of relays or something instead of just coming straight off the battery?

Any help is appreciated, part numbers would be great, You ordering the parts for me would be greater, and you installing said parts would be the greatest!
The wire coming off of the bat. are fusible link wire(if the heaters short to ground the wires pop open insteed of you bat. )and the "black things" are high amp relays for the 2 heaters on the intake....so far ...normal, Thay need to stay on the bat or it will not start when its cold out side!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it is excesive. Look at my gallery and you will see that I added some more. I just can't leave well enough alone. I wanted brighter head lights.
Most problems I have encountered with 12 volt systems come from bad grounds. The mix of copper and steel causes corrosion at the point of contact and that stuff does not pass electricity worth a hoot. Start at the negative battery terminal and disconnect any wires going to the battery ONE AT A TIME and clean them, lubricate them with a non-conductive grease or silicone spray and reconnect them. Some times this fixes problems that you didn't know you had. Always wear your safety glass while working around anything electrical.