1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

electric helper pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
I don't want to hijack this thread at all but...
The heated fuel thing. Is this for all area's of the country? I have gotten rid of my stock fuel system and I'm running a remote mount filter with no heater. But I live in AZ so....?
Sorry for the Hijack
Yeah, fuel heating is only needed if you operate in temps below the cloud point of the fuel you are using. Cloud point is when the paraffin starts to crystallize. The wax crystals then plug the filter and you are stuck, even though the fuel is still a liquid. Heating the fuel befre it hits the filter element prevents this wax plugging. Cloud point for #2 can be as high as 40 degrees - so there are times and places in AZ where you could need a fuel heater but they are few and far between. Additives like white bottle Power Service can lower the cloud point by 20 degrees or so, and that would be enough to keep you from having any trouble in AZ. Not gonna work that way in AK though...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Alright I've been looking at my setup and I'll plug in the heater that is on my filter mount setup (It's a Dmax filter mount). Then I'll control it off of a thermal sensor set at what degree temp?
Is ULSD at the 40* mark? I run wast trans fluid and two stroke also, if that may change the cloud point.
Is there a way to test for the cloud point of a given fuel is guess is my real question. I've been known to put some Jet fuel in the truck from time to time also
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word of the wise. PS is full of naptha. I have said this time and time again. It is a solvent....Dries parts out. You'll get better MPG from the start. It will drop off after it cleans your fuel system out. Ran it for a couple of years, until I was clue'd in from a good bud of mine.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
Alright I've been looking at my setup and I'll plug in the heater that is on my filter mount setup (It's a Dmax filter mount). Then I'll control it off of a thermal sensor set at what degree temp?
Is ULSD at the 40* mark? I run wast trans fluid and two stroke also, if that may change the cloud point.
Is there a way to test for the cloud point of a given fuel is guess is my real question. I've been known to put some Jet fuel in the truck from time to time also
A good dose of jet fuel is real good for lowering cloud point. Aviation fuels have to have low cloud point because it's pretty dang cold way up there. That's why there's not much being done to run planes on biodiesel.

The only way to know the cloud point of the fuel you are using is to cool a sample of it until you see it start to get cloudy.

Waste oil won't change cloud point much, not much paraffin in that.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Thank You Sir.