1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

easy way to find boost leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy way to find boost leak

i found a simple way to find boost leaks. small ones cannot be heard or felt with the motor and cooling fan running.

1. disconnect the rubber coupling at the turbo outlet and put a campbells black bean soup can into the coupling and tighten the clamp onto the can. it should be bean soup, since we're looking for a compressed gas leak.

2. using a regulator and an air compressor, add 10 (or so) psi to the 1/8" port in the intake manifold near the throttle linkage.

3. look and listen for air leaking out somewhere in the system.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by imabnormal
i found a simple way to find boost leaks. small ones cannot be heard or felt with the motor and cooling fan running.

1. disconnect the rubber coupling at the turbo outlet and put a campbells black bean soup can into the coupling and tighten the clamp onto the can. it should be bean soup, since we're looking for a compressed gas leak.

2. using a regulator and an air compressor, add 10 (or so) psi to the 1/8" port in the intake manifold near the throttle linkage.

3. look and listen for air leaking out somewhere in the system.
thats a grate idea!!!!

I have the proper tool to check the system for boost leaks and have been trying to fig out an easer way that every one out there could us to check there intercooler systems
Grate job!!!!

loved the (straight faced )bean jock
Old 06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tip!

You could also remove the boot right at the intake and close it off with another can, then pressurize from the turbo-end boot. I think this way you won't leak pressure out through your valves, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your valves shouldn't leak any pressure anyways, i wouldn't think
Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 PM

Don't forget to shutoff the engine before trying this. Also do not excede 10psi with the regulator. You don't want to have a bean soup can projectile smacking you in the face while your head is down near an intercooler boot looking for boost leaks. Next a spray bottle with dish soap and water in it works great for finding leaks. Just spray all connections including the intercooler and look for bubbles. If I were to do it this way, I would run some duct tape over the soup can and turbo long ways, just for a little extra safety in addition to the band clamp.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I did a similar thing except I used a 4" PVC pipe cap and a 4" rubber pipe coupler which has 2 clamps. I could only get it to 25 PSi before the cap slid out of the rubber coupler. I taped and installed a air hose quick connect then just turned up the regulator on my compressor gradually until I got the pressure I wanted.

The bean can will probably work better though if it still has the beans in it.

Edwin
Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 AM

evan with the chry tool that is ment to do this......if you don't get to clamp tight,and you add evan 3 psi, it come out of there like a rocket!!! DUCK!
I would us some sort of safety catch!

As far as having to have the intake seal to test the system,well you would thing that you couldn't build pressure with out blocking it of and the blocking toool is what when pop and flue out of the truck.

Any ways , that half of the tool i never usany more, and i just add pressure at the turbo in let. yes some of the air excapes thru the eng but not enuff to keep the regulator from makeing mooorre then enuff pressure.

5 psi will find any air leak with dish soap and water is a spray bottle like...a....windex spray bottle!