1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dynoed today...max hp w/stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynoed today...max hp w/stock turbo?

I got on the dyno today to see what kinda numbers I would put down. I have the stock turbo with a 12cm housing and I was making 42 pounds of boost on the dyno. I ended up making 302hp and 784tq. What is the most hp someone has made with the wh1c with a 12 housing? I think my turbo is really holding me up because my old smokey power pin didnt make any more hp in my truck from the last time I was on the dyno, but then we put it in Texas Hardcore's truck and it netted him an extra 20hp. I was just wondering if the stock turbo and 12cm hosuing is really holding me that far back or if something else is wrong.
Thanks,
Cody
Old 08-21-2004, 05:58 PM

In case some of y'all were wondering what my decal looks like on my back glass....
Old 08-21-2004, 06:58 PM

42lbs on boost on a dyno is MORE than I've seen before.. How did you get it to Load so well ? And that's a heck of a Smoke show you got goin on there! What have you done to get that much POWER/SMOKE...LOOK'S GOOD
Old 08-21-2004, 07:45 PM

I honestly dont know how it loaded so good, but it did. I was not driving the truck, but was watching the boost gague during the run. The smoke show was awesome...on most trucks the smoke clears up, but mine stayed like that the whole run. Looks like I'm pushing too much fuel and not enough air. Wonder how much my hp would go up with a hx40/16 or a similiar turbo or how much hp the wh1c/12 is good for??
Old 08-21-2004, 08:15 PM

First...our turbo's are the H1C...the early 2nd genners get the WH1C (difference is the "W" for wastegated)...Joseph, for instance, has a stock WH1C.

I think anyone over 275hp with an H1C is running out of the efficiency range. Plus 26psi is the choke point, meaning those extra 16psi you're making aren't pushing any more air through the motor than it did at 26psi. I can't wait to see what that thing will do with the big turbo.

That truck smoked solid through each pull, and was by far the smokingest (sp?) truck of the bunch!

I hope someone got some shots of my truck strapped on the dyno...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:23 PM

I got a pic of your truck on the rollers...gotta look out for my 1st gen brother.

BTW...at the next dyno day i'm gonna get a rock to that dumpster!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:33 PM

There she is, in all her glory...

At the next dyno day..I'll start a pot to see if you can hit that dumpster with a rock...

and i WONT be list next time either...so everyone needs to get their jokes out while it's still underpowered!! haha.

Thanks for the pic Cody
Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
I think 2 things, one the 12 cm exhaust housing is creating alot of back pressure and inhibiting flow at the top end. 2nd, the compressor efficiency went bye bye long before 40 psi. If you want measure the pressure in the exhaust manifold vs intake and see how far off you are. Ideally you want close to a 1:1.

All that smke is fuel without air. A larger turbo will increase airflow in clean some of it up, then again you can add more fuel with a larger turbo....
Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 PM

More fuel?? The truck currently smokes at idle so I think I need to try to burn the fuel I have before i think about adding more. I know my turbo combination is highly restricitive, but I was kinda wondering how much hp has been made with that setup or actually How Much can be made?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You need a bigger turbo all around. From the 42 pounds of boost I'm going to assume that either the 12 cm is not wastegated or you don't have the actuator hooked to anything. You'd pick up some HP just by going to a 16 cm housing, most of that boost is just pressure from heat. Cut down on the back pressure and you'll get more power. But you still wouldn't have enough air to burn the fuel judging from that cloud. I think the best low-buck solution would be a 16 cm housing and a Stage 3 compressor and pinwheel set from High Tech Turbo, the whole setup will cost less than $300 and be like a hybrid HX-35 with an HX-40 compressor wheel.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:56 AM

Last year at Edge, Which is at 4400 elevation I dynoed at 237 and 679. Had a stock H1C with a non wategated 14 housing.
I installed a modified H1C from Hytech turbo. It has an HX40 compressor wheel machined to fit. It has a 16 CM exhaust housing. Just that change alone made a big "seat of the pants" power difference.
The old turbo peaked boost midway through the RPM range then would drop off. I was seeing 37 PSI.
The new turbo took me to about 39 PSI but stayed all the way to the governor.
Its not so much the boost number as it is the new turbo is spinning slower and not "superheating" the air.
After that I installed the Old Smokey power pin. I went to about 41 PSI. That was in the winter time. In the summer I see about 38 now.
Just before dynoing last week at Edge again. I checked my pump and got another full turn out of my fuel screw
I gained back to 41 PSI in the summer. so Im hoping to see 43 or so this winter
So with the fuel screw, the turbo and The Old Smokey power pin changes I dynoed at 4400 elevation at 332.8 and 794.1.
That is a 95 HP and 115 Torque increase from last year.
Im happy, but now Im thinking about that second gen head in my garage, and a little porting and polishing
Old 08-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran 353 RWHP and 888 Tq at Piers DynoMania 2003 with the stock cold side and a 14cm wastegated hot side at 30 psi of boost. With the change to Piers HX35 and an ATS manifold my RWHP went to 369.8 - same boost. That's where my wastegate is set to be fully open - 30 psi.

Bob
Old 08-22-2004, 06:22 PM

When I dynoed with a H1C and a 12 housing I got 316hp on #2 and 340 with the propane on. Now I have a HX40 and on just straight #2 I got 419hp. I did however get alittle more fuel going to it with a modified cone and some other things. I still have to much fuel and not enough air. So I am now in the process of going to twins. Hopefully I will get them on before Sept. 17 thats when I am going to dyno again. I want to see at least 500 hp on straight diesel. With the drugs on who knows where I will be at?

Stomp
Old 08-22-2004, 06:48 PM

Talking Almost stock

You know that you guys are killing me with this almost stock stuff in your signature. Heck mine is almost stock right? What was stock again 160hp/400tq to the flywheel. Oh thats right I have more than 3x that going to the ground and I still dont have enough HP.

Stomp
Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM

Man, where in TX did y'all get it dynoed? I want to get mine dynoed as it has everything yours has, only I've never seen more than 34psi, but I'm thinking I could get more on a dyno. I also have the 18cm housing.

Quick Reply: Dynoed today...max hp w/stock turbo?