1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stomp
Another good one to have is the injection pump wrench.
Wrench, Injection Pump
Stock#: SP144
Jeremy

That one needs to be a ratchet wrench.. but its a time saver...
What did you dyno with the small pump??? Going to try and have NMP truck running this weekend... have to round up a few parts.. I think he got a pump.. Missing the return banjo fitting...
Bryan
Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a 2nd/3rd gen guy, but I thought I'd chime in here about regular dynos and our trucks. I have a '98 12v with piers 370 injectors, stock turbo screaming up to 34 pounds, bhaf, #8 plate shoved all the way forward, 4" mandrel bent exhaust, timing at 16 deg, and a 4000 rpm gsk. On a dynojet, my results were.....(drumroll)....325 hp and 572 ft/lb. Sound right to you guys? Me neither. Truck ran 16.03 at 86 mph, with a honda accord engine/trans rolling around in the bed. This is with a nv4500, not an auto. I weighed it a couple of days later and it weighed 7620 lbs. Typically, most guys report something around 375-400 hp and about 700 ft/lbs with the stuff I've done to the truck. Mine runs about what it ought to using the numbers most other people get. My point is this: a regular inertia dyno doesn't put anywhere NEAR the load on our drivetrains that the truck itself does under normal circumstances. This means two things right off the bat: 1) it's harder to build boost and power. 2) much more of the power the truck DOES make is spent speeding the drivetrain up because of the puny load the dyno rollers impose. So, even if the truck did actually make the same power at the flywheel as it can on the street, it would spend a considerable portion of it overcoming drivetrain inertia because the light rollers let the wheelspeed increase so much faster than it does in "real life" on the street. So, that's two big strikes against getting a halfway accurate reading from a regular dyno. My idea is to take my truck to a shop that dynos 18 wheelers, since they'll have plenty of load for the truck to grunt against. We have one near me, though I have yet to get out there and see if they'll do it.

The moral of the story-don't feel bad about your dyno results-they're almost certainly bogus, and in your favor.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Jeremy

That one needs to be a ratchet wrench.. but its a time saver...
What did you dyno with the small pump??? Going to try and have NMP truck running this weekend... have to round up a few parts.. I think he got a pump.. Missing the return banjo fitting...
Bryan
Yeah a ratchet wrench would be nice.

I dynoed 442hp and then 444 on #2 only and I dynoed 527hp with the water/meth on. Not too shabby for a worn out stocker. I actually dynoed higher on the Dyno-jet than I did on the Superflow dyno in town. Highest numbers on the superflow was 418hp on #2 and 509hp with the water on.

Well it looks like I have all of the parts to build the big pump so here in the next couple of weeks I will run up to Oregon and have it built. I am going to use the case that I am using now so I am going to have to build up another Stock pump for a spare. I am going to use my other stock head/rotor because it actually flowed more than the one I am using now.

Yeah I talked to Cody last night and he said he had a pump, but he has been real busy. Well I am sure that he will call when you guys get it on, but let me know either way.

Stomp
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the part numbers Stomp. I will try to get on the Dyno again in a week or two. I have to see where I am with the N2O.

When you dyno'd 418 With the HX-40/16 where was your timing at? Was that with water/Meth? Or just #2?

Thanks
Brenden
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stomp
Don’t beat yourself up over the dyno numbers. Now you have a base line to go off of. I thought it ran pretty good for what it is and what you have done to it. Tranny sure didn’t like it to much and that could be why your numbers didn’t do justice for the times that you run at the track.

I may have dynoed more, but if we lined up at the track you would clean my clock.

I had a blast except for the weather (rain/cold). It was nice meeting you and your brother. I had better look out for you guys this year you have some pretty big plans with that old girl. I should have these 370's out pretty soon so if you want I could send them to you and see if you like them. Might want to have some more air/tranny work done first, but let me know.

Brenden- It was nice to meet you. You have a very nice running Ford/Cummins. I can’t wait for the next event. Next time make sure to have the bottle filled.

Oh by the way I made it home just fine a little low on power, but I made it. I also found that my fuel pin snapped I guess it was a little toooo thin . No wonder my valet and full fuel runs were the same.

Stomp
Ya, let me know when you get those 370's out, I would like to try them. Also keep me updated on how the new nozzles work out once you get them made.

As far as more air, that is in the works, bottom turbo is here and now im just collecting the rest of the small parts. And the tranny, looking for a 93 core to have built, so keep an eye out.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by 6DoubleDuece
Thanks for the part numbers Stomp. I will try to get on the Dyno again in a week or two. I have to see where I am with the N2O.

When you dyno'd 418 With the HX-40/16 where was your timing at? Was that with water/Meth? Or just #2?

Thanks
Brenden
I dynoed 419 at the First Gen day at Piers's in 04'. Then with the water/meth and propane I dynoed 520 running a Piers HX40/16 as a single. I am not sure what my timing was, but I bet it was around 20* or so.

After rockjeep gets done trying the 370's maybe you should try them. You already have a base line dyno with POD's so it would be interesting to see how well they would do. Both on #2 only and then with the spray on.

rockjeep as soon as I get them out and I make sure the new ones work I will let you know. I will also keep my eye out for a 93 tranny.

It looks like I am going to Oregon on Feb. 11th to get my new pump built. I hope to have my new injectors by then so I can put them in while I am up there.

Stomp
Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 PM

Any time, I would like try them out on the dyno to see what the difference is. I am going to talk to Brad tommorow and see when I can get back on the Dyno.

On a side note, I took my pump over to the head last night. It is a big improvement over where it was. Now that I have my linkage set how it's supposed to be

I was having problems all week first I put the throttle linkage on all wacky, then the bottle incident

Thanks
Brenden
Old 02-01-2006, 01:35 AM

Stomp, what style pump case you gonna run, intercooled or non-intercooled?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Stomp, what style pump case you gonna run, intercooled or non-intercooled?
To tell you the truth I am not sure which one I am going to run. I have two non intercooled pumps and one intercooled pump. It seams to me that the non intercooled pumps are the only ones left running Not real sure why, but when I get both of them apart I will see which one I want to run.

Stomp