1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the water meth was coming on just before the shift into third so the tranny wasnt able to keep up with the RPM and it would start to scream until it was in 3rd. At least that is what I think it may be doing, it has never acted up on the street at all, just on the dyno. And it did it every time.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 PM

Don't sweat it. That Dyno is not loading the truck down. To get the numbers, you need to get on a load dyno. Take it for what it's worth, I have a full HX-40/16, A intercooler with 3" inlets and outlets, and a stick. So with that being said I should have that magic 400RWHP right 340.51 rwhp & 614.87 Brad's dyno is good for repeatability (Spelling?) I use it for tuning. Your truck is **** QUICK!

Nice to finally meet all of you guys! I had a nice day even though it was ugly out

Thanks
Brenden
Old 01-30-2006, 02:27 AM

Dave you have a much greater volume of air since you are cooling it prior to entering the engine.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Rock, you might look into an air to water aftercooler and injection lines for it. Then go the KTA route. Water tank/cooler in the bed with tranny cooler inline between the aftercooler (that is mounted on the intake) and the tank. Ice it down at the track/dyno.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:30 PM

Im not completing following you here, injection lines? I never have really looked into an air to water aftercooler, but I assume they are pricey? I do want to go the KTA route, im just waiting to see if he can get the bugs worked out.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:05 PM

KTA route= no intercooler, just an air to water aftercooler plumbed to cooler tank in bed. Aftercooler new from Cummins ~$325, lines ~- probly just as much. If you ran an aftercooler you'd need the injection lines that route around it. Go check out KTA's pics if you want an idea. Would be best to source the aftercooler and lines from a junkyard. School buses and tractors used these. I am probly gonna go this route soon. I have a line on the cooler and lines from a local yard.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
KTA route= no intercooler, just an air to water aftercooler plumbed to cooler tank in bed. Aftercooler new from Cummins ~$325, lines ~- probly just as much. If you ran an aftercooler you'd need the injection lines that route around it. Go check out KTA's pics if you want an idea. Would be best to source the aftercooler and lines from a junkyard. School buses and tractors used these. I am probly gonna go this route soon. I have a line on the cooler and lines from a local yard.
Where are KTA's pics, or better yet, do you have a link?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:51 PM

http://www.diesel-central.com/photog...D=99&Ad_ID=121. Not the most user friendly site. I didn't really see any good aftercooler pics, but still good viewing.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...&albumid=16805. Partsman's aftercooler setup. Similar to KTA's.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

How efficent are the air to water coolers compared to the air to air aftercoolers? There must be some benefit if you are planning on putting an air to water in place of your air to air? Any other benefits, it seems like the air to water is much more complicated to setup and more parts are needed?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bgilbert
His truck is a p-pump so do they also make the air-water cooler injection lines for a ve as well?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
His truck is a p-pump so do they also make the air-water cooler injection lines for a ve as well?
Yes sir. VE pumped 5.9's came equipped with air to water aftercoolers so the VE injection lines exist.

Rock, the benefit for me is to replace a leaking intercooler and to be able to really cool the air bigtime compared to an air to air at a dyno event or what have you. Trailer pulling an air to air is the way to go. Hot rod, dyno, dragstrip, daily driving an air to water is the way to go.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do air-water coolers have two paths one for the water and one for the air? or how do they work?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM

Don’t beat yourself up over the dyno numbers. Now you have a base line to go off of. I thought it ran pretty good for what it is and what you have done to it. Tranny sure didn’t like it to much and that could be why your numbers didn’t do justice for the times that you run at the track.

I may have dynoed more, but if we lined up at the track you would clean my clock.

I had a blast except for the weather (rain/cold). It was nice meeting you and your brother. I had better look out for you guys this year you have some pretty big plans with that old girl. I should have these 370's out pretty soon so if you want I could send them to you and see if you like them. Might want to have some more air/tranny work done first, but let me know.

Brenden- It was nice to meet you. You have a very nice running Ford/Cummins. I can’t wait for the next event. Next time make sure to have the bottle filled.

Oh by the way I made it home just fine a little low on power, but I made it. I also found that my fuel pin snapped I guess it was a little toooo thin . No wonder my valet and full fuel runs were the same.

Stomp
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 AM

Jeremy, It was nice to meet you too. You weren't kidding when you said your pin was paper thin I guess the N2O would work a little bit better if the bottle was had something in it

By the way the wrench you had for the idle nut, where do you get one?

Thanks
Brenden
Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6DoubleDuece
Jeremy, It was nice to meet you too. You weren't kidding when you said your pin was paper thin I guess the N2O would work a little bit better if the bottle was had something in it

By the way the wrench you had for the idle nut, where do you get one?

Thanks
Brenden
Yeah I will try and get a picture of how thin not to cut your pin. If you could clean up the extra smoke that you had with N2O it would be real interesting to what you would have done on the dyno.

The wrench is a Blue Point that I got from the snapon guy. You can find it on there website.
Wrench, Idle Lock Nut, 10mm
Stock#: SP145

Another good one to have is the injection pump wrench.
Wrench, Injection Pump
Stock#: SP144

Quick Reply: Dyno Results