1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dually Axle- Cab Chassis vs Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dually Axle- Cab Chassis vs Truck

I have been made aware over on 1stgen by Richie O and some other that C/C dually axle is narrower than the truck axles. I also searched a post on here where wannadiesel and richie o both touch on the topic again.

How much smaller is the Dually C/C axles than the dually truck axle?
My axle measure approx. 49-49.5" from inside right tire bulge to inside left tire bulge.

How about a measurement of a Dually box from inside to inside? The dually box I picked up isn't real close at the moment for me to measure.

I have two options to make my box fit.
-Cut wheel wells and do "minitub"
-or axles spacers and lugs.

I would prefer to do a spacer and keep my box width for time when I need to carry a sheet of plywood, or drywall etc. Any one know for sure the measurements differences and/or amount of clearance required?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
It is true that a c/c rear is narrower from brake plate to brake plate. But I have seen one used before on a regular pickup without any bed mods. It just looks a little funny because the wheels are about 2" in towards the frame. I guess a set of spacers could be used to help this but you would need longer wheel studs. As soon as I saw it the first thing I thought of was I wonder if its harder to bleed the wheel cylinders.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM

So approximately two inch spacer and 2 inch longer 5/8"-18 studs will be required. Anyone know where to source these? Wheel pattern? I did a quick search yesterday and only come up with mostly adapter type spacers.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Along this same line. I'm thinking I would like to use my dually wheels on the back as singles and a regular pickup bed. Is there a standard rear axle that would let me do that?
Or, maybe spacers on my C&C axle. Has anyone done that?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what i see here on my trucks the dually box has the same inner bed dimensions as a SRW box. It's the outer wheel well opening lip and the added external fenders where they are different. They never narrow the distance between the inner bed fenders to less than 48" inside the bed. Less than 48" would also make it difficult in hauling a sheet of plywood which I'm sure fits in a dually bed.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM

freighttrain. you have a cab chassis with a box on it? So the backing plates are pretty close to the inner fenders?

I think i may have answered my own question
the measurement from backing plate to backing plate on my axle is approx 53"
I have a spare axle in my back yard from a parts truck. It had a flat deck on it too but this axles measure 57 1/2" inches from plate to plate.
I am going to call dealer tomorrow with parts truck VIN and see if it was a cab chassis truck or a complete truck. This truck was an extended cab...don't imagine a cab chassis was anything but a regular cab.

When I call dealer find out ratio of part vin truck too. I'll probably end up using this axle instead of hacking box or using wheel spacers.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dodge measures the axles from backing plate mounting flange to flange.

A 53" measurement is a SRW measurement.

A C&C dually measures 55" flange to flange.

A dually axle measres 60" flange to flange.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Philip thank you.
I went out and remeasured from flange to flange I got those two dually measurements.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM

I already showed you a pic of this truck with dual wheels/tires on it over on 1stgen. Here is another one, not much light, with single rear wheels on a cab & chassis dually axle with a single rear wheel pickup bed. Like I said, it works for me, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. You can't tell it was a dually axle the way the tires sit, width wise. But obviously you can tell I've either moved my axle back or it was a c&c truck.
Attached Thumbnails Dually Axle- Cab Chassis vs Truck-0125011340.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM

how come you never wanted the wheel wheel centered?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by realest
how come you never wanted the wheel wheel centered?
Because I didn't want a huge gap between the cab and the bed. I feel it looks worse that way than the way I have it. Plus it's way too much work IMO, to center it. If you want that, just buy a dually pickup and keep your cab and chassis the way it is.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Lots of work it will be! But cost will be very little especially compared to the price of buying a dually pick up.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up c/c dually

i bought a 89 dodge 4wd diesel dually with a utility body on it. When i bought it I never gave a thought about the possibility that i t may be a c/c truck. Never came across one till this purchase. It wasn't till I got it home that my friends and I were looking at it and pulling some measurements that we realized that it was a c/c truck. My plans for this truck were to make it a regular dually pick-up. I had purchased an 89 dodge dually 2wd with a SWEET body. We ended up cutting 3 inches (I think, don't quite remember) out of the middle of the frame and cut about 4 inches off the rear. Welded the cut and reinforced it, to look at the frame you would be hard pressed to notice it. We lifted the bed from the 2wd onto the 4wd and after we had it all bolted in place we noticed the rear wheels were "sitting in." We have quite a few dodge diesels among us, so we measured a srw, drw, and the c/c and found all three were different widths. I am still running the c/c dually rear, just looks a little odd if you look at it from the rear. My plans are to have the 2wd Dana 70 re-geared to match the 4wd dually and put that rear under it. Unless i find a set of wheel spacers first. I use the heck out of my diesel to push snow and tow a trailer and the cut /welded frame has never caused any problems. Tracks down the road straight, rear wheels are centered in the wheel well openings ( looking at the truck from the side) and we measured the wheel base from a factory long bed dodge to mine after it was all said and done, and we're not even a 1/4 inch off. Just now when we look at utility/ dumps / whatever, we check the wheelbase. Learn something new all the time.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Fantom that is exactly what I will end up doing.
Does the ring gear and pinion not fit from the CC rear into the 2wd rear? Or are the axle splines different? Or another issue?

I would love to see some pictures of this rig.