1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dual Optimas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watch that the nut on top.
Yeah, that is why I will probably buy 2 new ends, shorten the wires, and turn the front battery around.

Jim: That is some impressive knowledge. Is it bad that I am just running the two batteries direct like shown in my picture?

Unfortunately, as of yet, I haven't driven the truck more than a mile since the install, but later this week I will tell you guys what I think. I gotta get my 4X4 fixed between now and then. lol
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
Yeah, that is why I will probably buy 2 new ends, shorten the wires, and turn the front battery around.

Jim: That is some impressive knowledge. Is it bad that I am just running the two batteries direct like shown in my picture?

Thank you,

No there is no problem at all connecting 2 or more batteries in parallel as long as they are the same age, same CCA, RA and of the same type meaning do not parallel a Starting battery with a Deep Cycle battery.

GM diesels have a battery on each fender connected in parallel as well as the newer dodges.

Also class-8 trucks and heavy equipment routinely will use 4 or 8 6-volt batteries connected in a series/ parallel arrangement to gain more amperage.

The down side to this is if one battery goes bad it can affect the entire system unless you have a way to disconnect them, a simple 100-amp solenoid could be added to your setup to give you the safety and also an onboard jumper battery.

I have had one battery in a parallel arrangement have a shorted cell and become a 10 volt battery while it was connected to the other 12-volt battery, the results were a hot smoking battery that was going to explode at any moment.

When I worked on Transit Coaches we were always having melted or exploded batteries because they would only replace 1 of the 2 or 4 batteries in the tray, shorted 8-D batteries are not what you want to have to be next to while you are trying to disconnect them.

Unfortunately, as of yet, I haven't driven the truck more than a mile since the install, but later this week I will tell you guys what I think. I gotta get my 4X4 fixed between now and then. lol
Also I would turn one of the batteries around so you could keep the interconnection cables from crossing each other, I understand why that you did it this way but I would do it just because it looks confusing, although you know how they are connected and I know how they are connected not everybody in the world is that smart, there is a good possibility somebody could connect them (+) to (-) and (-) to (+) and have a small explosion resulting in molten lead.

You could turn the front battery around and then reconnect the interconnecting cables by bending them into a semicircle (C) shape and have them each loop around your mounting bolt from opposite directions, I would also use some RED shrink tubing on the POS end of the cables.

Do you know that you have a Positive lug on the Negative terminal?

Name:  CIMG0479.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  125.9 KB

Other that that, your setup looks geat.

Jim
Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
I just did that mod about 2 weeks ago but used dual Yellow top Optimas and a premade battery mount from Ballistic Fabrication. I haven't noticed a difference in how fast it first cranks, it always fired up quickly. I was also looking to add to the reserve rather than CCA.
Was this the one you went with?

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...x-_p_1705.html
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Jim, if I understand you correctly, then if 1 battery goes bad, you will then have to buy 2. It seems to me that an isolator is much cheaper that an Optima, just my opinion. As I said earlier, I have had 2 Optimas fail on me, 1 of them 20 miles deep in the desert in Mexico. I own 9 Optimas in various vehicles and still love them. in both cases they were replaced without cost, which would still cause one to have to buy 1 to keep them the same..Mark

Last edited by maybe368; 12-28-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add ionfo
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I only have 3 Yellow Tops, 2 in a custom box under my flat bed as accessory and 1 for starting, seperated by a 200 amp relay. There is enough weight on the front of this truck, that's why I put the extras under the bed.

What does a 20K inverter cost?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know that you have a Positive lug on the Negative terminal?
Thanks Jim. Yes that Lug was a goof on both my mechanic and myself. He sold me two positive lugs, and I put them both on my truck. I honestly didn't know there was a difference. lol I do plan on turning the front battery around because the wires cross and one rubs on the nut that holds the whole thing down. (at least it's the negative one) I also thought that it looked confusing, and that if someone hooked up a set of cables wrong there could be a very bad accident. I will try to get some new ends and some shrink tube this week. Should I worry about the two batteries hooked up this way? I already have about $420 stuck into this whole thing. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Jim, if I understand you correctly, then if 1 battery goes bad, you will then have to buy 2. It seems to me that an isolator is much cheaper that an Optima, just my opinion. As I said earlier, I have had 2 Optimas fail on me, 1 of them 20 miles deep in the desert in Mexico. I own 9 Optimas in various vehicles and still love them. in both cases they were replaced without cost, which would still cause one to have to buy 1 to keep them the same..Mark
Mark,
Well they should be to do it right, you want them to be matched close in age but depending on how good the remaining batteries is, I would at the least have it load tested but to do it right you should replace both of them at the same time because they are part of a set, being connected in parallel they will take on characteristics of each other as far as state of charge but if one should fail it will affect it as a unit.

The quality of the batteries are not as they should be, I have heard that the Optima batteries that you buy from outlets like Cosco or Wal-Mart are rejects and not as good as one that you would get from a distributor.

If my truck starts fine with 1 battery I would rather set up my batteries for redundancy and know that I always had a fully charged battery to start my truck with in the event my main battery did fail. This has started my truck many times at 4:00 A.M. when I would leave my lights on or emergency flashers on for 8-10 hours at a time, if the truck would not start all I would do is press a switch and it would start like I had just turned it off.

You could use a separator like I have or you could simply use a couple of solenoids and get the same results.

Even with a separator the 2 batteries are still connected in parallel when they are charging, Oh and I have a voltmeter for each battery.

Jim